THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who's loaded and shot the E-Tip already??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm gonna start load development tommorrow for the 180 in a 300 win. Are those of you who have first hand knowledge seeing early signs of pressure with lower powder charges??

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kraky:
I'm gonna start load development tommorrow for the 180 in a 300 win. Are those of you who have first hand knowledge seeing early signs of pressure with lower powder charges??

I'm interested in this thread also. I have to stuff some 130s in a 277 cal.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
Got some loaded in .308 and .277, will get shot next weekend, will post a range report if brain remains intact.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammunition/etipwin_100907/index.html

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i just got some 180 30 cal e tips pressure tested, and compared to the 180 partiton and tsx in the 06,
pressure s

are way higher, they are to long and eat case capacity in the 06 case...you cant get enough powder into the case to get the velocity up ....im specifically refering to the 06 case
i will check my spread sheet when i get home and post it...give me a day or so
Daniel

Posts: 1480 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Give it time....Nosler may begin cutting pressure relief grooves in their bearing surfaces as well, just like Barnes did, and this will mean the bullet will have to be even longer.

The Etip is really the old Barnes X bullet, but with a better hollow point, a tip, and 5% zinc.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gotta wonder if there are some patent laws involved. Barnes probably took the idea from GS customs bullets which (I think) are made in South Africa. They probably didn't have patents here in USA???? Not sure if nosler can do the same. Maybe they'll show up soon with some sort of funky coating!!!! Do ya think a person would be safe using the max loads for an accubond of the next higher wt....ie would 200 ab data be good for the 180 e tip...would 165 data be good for the 150 e tip???

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey kraky

Don't seem to be too many here with first hand knowledge and that includes me. If I were loading those without hard data I would look at the loading data for the old Barnes X, would be the closest thing being all copper and longer than the typical cup and core.

Seeing as how RL22 has always been the best powder for the 300 win mag and the load listed by Barnes is; minimum 70.5 - 2898 fps, maximum 75.5 - 3103 fps, I wouldn't be skeered to jump in the middle at 74 grains and start working up, Fed215M primers of course. That data is for the Barnes X uncoated flat base or boat tail.

JMHO

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
with 60 gns of R22 behind the 180 gn e tip i got a vel of 2700 @ at a psi of 55,000 in the 06
Daniel

Posts: 1480 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
M98, just curious, how did you deternine that pressure???

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote