New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady 325 gr FTX Bullets in 458
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have used the the 350 gr RN in my mauser 98 in 458 Win cal.Much better suited to NA game than the 500 slugs and a lot easier on the shoulder. I've taken whitetails and a black bear. Certainly not a long range combination but fun to shoot. Just curious if anyone has used the 325 gr FTX bullet in a 458.It should be a little flatter shooting and maybe add an additional 50 to 75 yds to the effective range. Also does the jacket hold together in the 2400 to 2500 fps range. Has anyone used it on game? Thanks for any input you can share.

Posts: 2438 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have said they would blow up but Hornady says no. So try them and report back.
http://www.hornady.com/store/4...-FTX-LEVERevolution/
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill I would love to try some and report back. The only problem is I can't find any. Many reloaders/ shooters south of the 49 th parallel have complained about the lack of ammunition and reloading components. Well my friend you should try finding components North of the 49 th ! Just thought I might be able to get a head start using some others experience.

Posts: 2438 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
midway has them

Posts: 1079 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Midway will not ship to Canada. Now do you understand my problem about not finding components?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I can't give advice on the ftx, but If you can get your hands on the 350gn speers, they are made for win mag velocity. I took a deer this year with one at 2450 fps and 150 yards. It performed well and is fairly flat shooting for a .458.
the 300gn barnes TTSX would be pretty flat shooting and can be pushed as fast as the win mag will allow and still perform.

I've looked at the Hornady FTX but to me with a bullet that light, I would want to push them fast and I'm not sure how the bullet would hold up either as it's loaded in 45-70 factory rounds

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote