THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Page 1 2 

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who has been reloading for the longest time?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just a year mention is good:

Posts: 557 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington | Registered: 26 April 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ray, you have me beat by 2 years. Started in 1963 for me on my own.

Posts: 81 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1965 with a Lee Loader in 32 Spl for an 1894 Winchester rifle made in 1908. Still have and use both.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Late arrival: 1980...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Just since 1978 for me but it was a Lee handloader.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Somewhere around 1957 or 58...but I wasn't on my own..just helping Dad on his Lyman/Ideal "Ezy-Loader" equipment. (Yes: I still have it all.)

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too am a late arrival, 1987 and still going!

Exercise makes you look good naked, so does bourbon.....You decide

Posts: 189 | Location: Was Kansas, USA - Now South Australia | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
74 or 75 on a couple of friends setup and about 2 more years before I had enough equipment to do it all on my own.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I started in 1974 with a lot of advice from old buddies all shooters and reloaders. I load for 6 grandsons, a son and grandaughter as well as myself. None of those mentioned have ever shot a factory round. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
1959; helped my Grandfather load 38 specials on an old Star press; he was a game warden and he used to have his friends over for target practice. We used full wadcutters and Bullseye. Started loading for my own guns in 68 with a Lee Loader for my 30-30.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I started reloading on my own around 1966. "Helped out" my dad and older brother before that.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
1957. First Diapers then slingshots, then BB guns then things with primers and powder later on!

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
I started reloading in 1968, and I have some of my first records. I have eight 2"3 ring binders full of every powder and bullet I have ever loaded - even when the difference was just a change in primer make.
There were a lot more poor loads than good ones but there are some good ones in there too.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Late 1961, right after getting out of US Navy.

NRA Patron Member

Posts: 404 | Location: Troy Michigan | Registered: 14 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Lyman Ezy Loader. I still have it on the bench.

Use RCBS's presses now.

Got my first deer that year with my own handload.

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elapsed time is different from volume reloaded, greatest variety of rounds reloaded, largest variety of loads tried and tested, number of rifles loaded for, spectrum of bullets, types of firearms and various experments tried.

For example. If you have loaded one million rounds of 38 special target loads over the last 60 years you may not know too much. Some people set up one load in a progressive and pull the handle on the same old load for decades. That is about as interesting as 60 years of skeet loads...

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
1970 for the first deer rifle I owned, a 243. About two years later for the 30-30 in the Rem 748.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Late 80's

Posts: 4882 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post

Political correctness offends me.

Posts: 668 | Location: Hastings, Michigan | Registered: 23 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it was 1970 with a 22-250. We would trade drinks and sandwiches for M60 blanks (I think) when the army trained on manuvers. I sawed the long nose off those with a hacksaw, dumped the powder and sized them down to 22-250 brass. A friend helped me get the form dies and inside neck reamer. That was a lot of work but I had more time than money then.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
1961 Hap Murry and I reloaded lead cast bullets on my Uncle Guy's Hollywood Press in Odessa, Texas

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Started helping Dad around 61 62 loading on my own around 68. Lyman 310 tool was a great step up to get a single stage press.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I started loading in 2000 with my major professor at Oklahoma State Univ. in his garage for an upcoming elk hunting to Colorado.

I didn't start on my own until we moved to Colorado in 2007. I still have that 300 WM and it'll be headed to Africa with me again next year on it's third trip to the Dark Continent with some hand loaded Barnes TSX bullets.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1959 with a CH Super C press and Redding balance and powder measure for .270.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I just started

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Savage 99 leading the pack

Posts: 557 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington | Registered: 26 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Ted I think you are jerkin my bobber.

I started in 1975, I was 14 then and I just turned 52 last month. My parents bought an RCBS starter set for me and my younger brothers, dad didn't reload but got us everything we needed and a Sierra loading manual. I read everything carefully and we started cranking out the bullets. We started with 30/30, 30/06, 22/250, .284.
That was probably the best gift I could have ever recieved, start of a life long addiction I mean hobby.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1957-taught by Joyce Hornady in his office.

NRA
SCI & DSC
9.3x62
375 H&H
300 H&H
450 Nitro 3.25

Posts: 77 | Location: I been everywhere!!! | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1968 with a lee reloader for a 243,shooting a remington 700,I was 14.

Posts: 371 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1978 w/a Lee Reloader Special - 38 Spl's, tried to hide under the bench while pulling the Trigger with my first reload, thought it was all some kinda Black Magic but was happily surpised when they all went into the black.

Never looked back since that day.

'cept for shotgun shells have shot 3 animals in my lifetime with factory rifle/pistol ammo.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1980 with a Rockchucker combo. For my first handgun, S&W Mod 28 357mag Highway Patrolman. I really liked that gun.

Few oldtimers here Smiler Would like to know what it was like to be taught by Joyce Hornady!

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1971 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1980 for me.
The wife and I had been married about 2 years. Got married when we were 19.
Wife figured reloading would be a good way to keep me at home and out of the beer joints.
She gave me a RCBS JR. reloading kit.
Still have (and enjoy) that same Jr. reloading press and same wife.
Never saw any reason to switch to another of either one. (No need for anything bigger or faster....press or women)

Started reloading for my favorite 270 Win. and 222 Rem.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
1976 with a Lee Loader.

Loaded for one caliber, 222 Remington.
It was the only center fire rifle I had.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68692 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I started 1965 after got out of the service. I'm sure had I not enlisted 1960 I would have done it earlier.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
quote:
1957-taught by Joyce Hornady in his office.

Now that is a story I'd like to hear. What press did you learn on?

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcorn1957**8x57** For a G43.Holly Wood Senior press( still in use) Lach Miller die set, Redding scale and powder measure. Speer #1 and Lyman whatever manuals. The powder measure's drum finally wore out and I'm getting close. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
1958 using RCBS press and Redding scale with oil damper. Started loading for a M70 feather weight 30-06. That rifle was purchased from Hi Green's Sports Den next to LAX, both are now long gone.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1959 casting bullets and reloading on a Lyman tong tool for a single shot .32 Winc Special converted from a Martini .310. Still have the Lyman tool (unused for years), but no longer have the Martini. Now load for about 50 different cartridges on an old RCBS Rockchucker.

Posts: 54 | Location: Fort Collins, CO, USA | Registered: 27 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
1963. LEE-Loader 8x57 Mauser.Winchester brass,Remington bullet 150 grain round nose,Remington primer,45 grains of IMR-4064,
2,490 fps. Still remember.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Savage 99 still leading