Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone using Blue Dot in the 45/70??
 Login/Join

posted
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has a good recipe for Blue Dot behind 405 grain or 500 grain cast bullets in the 45/70? Or where to start for minimum loads up to max loads? Will be using a H&R Handi-rifle. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Haven't used this data, but their test info looks like it's pretty reliable.

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found Blue Dot to be pretty position sensitive in 45-70. Not bad accuracy on average but muzzle up or muzzle down before firing really made difference in velocity, accuracy, and even bore leading.

Unqiue did not have this problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can find some Trail Boss it works well in the 45-70 with heavy bullets.Doesn't take much to get them to haul the mail either.My wife shot the trap door and had a blast.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure but I heard that this was Hotsh#t's go to powder for the 45/70.

I've used Varget in my reduced loads utilizing 350 grain slugs and H322 for the heavier 405 grain pills. Accuracy with the H322 was a whisper better than the Varget loads and the velocity was up there. 405 grain at 1980 FPS out of a 26" tube produces some recoil on one end and some performance on the other.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used it in a 444 Marlin...

no accuracy problems and no position sensitive problems...

if you want data published by the factory, I'd recommend SR 4759...

I use that in my 444 along with other cartridges the same as I do Blue Dot..

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If your intent is to Ka-Boom the rifle, it should work. tu2

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, the .45/70 is only a longer .45 Colt where BD gives good results. Why should it work fine in the latter and blow up in the former?

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HotCore is well known for his pathological fascination with BlueDot problems. He posts on several forums about this. I have used BlueDot in my .45-70 (and many other cartridges) for many years with great success. With 300 grain HP bullets I get 1300 fps with low report and recoil out of my 16" T/C carbine. Killing power is ample out to the 100 yards I use this rifle. I have not noticed any position sensitivity, but then my load fills the case more than some.

If you are worried about using a slow pistol powder in a rifle cartridge, then by all means use data with SR4759 or AA5744. Just like loading Bullseye in .45ACP target loads, you have to be careful about double charges. My .45-70 BD loads will almost overflow if I use a double charge, but the handloader has to take special care since low velocity does not mean low pressure with this powder.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use BD in my 45-70 for cast 300-500+ grain bullets . The gmdr.com website mentioned by Wrongtarget has a wealth of info regarding the use of so called pistol powders in larger rifle cases. The accuracy with these faster burning powders is remarkable.
An added bonus of BD over, say AA5744, is its clean burning. I often wonder about the effect a whole lot of unburned powder granules left in the barrel has on accuracy. I'm sure it can't help.

Albatross.

Posts: 2497 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TX Nimrod:
HotCore is well known for his pathological fascination with BlueDot problems. He posts on several forums about this. I have used BlueDot in my .45-70 (and many other cartridges) for many years with great success. With 300 grain HP bullets I get 1300 fps with low report and recoil out of my 16" T/C carbine. Killing power is ample out to the 100 yards I use this rifle. I have not noticed any position sensitivity, but then my load fills the case more than some.

If you are worried about using a slow pistol powder in a rifle cartridge, then by all means use data with SR4759 or AA5744. Just like loading Bullseye in .45ACP target loads, you have to be careful about double charges. My .45-70 BD loads will almost overflow if I use a double charge, but the handloader has to take special care since low velocity does not mean low pressure with this powder.

My mild load of a 350 grain bullet with the Varget might need to do some testing with the Blue Dot for a targeted velocity around 1300-1400fps. Any info on a load similar to that in your experience?

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote