New
Find
Notify
Tools

further barnes tsx results in the 300ultramag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
After a fair bit of testing with the 180gr tsx in my 300 ultramags I have decided to use them for my elk hunting this fall.Group size is around 3/4" for both rifles.This mornings five shot groups were .700" and .730" with the two rifles.However it was quite warm out and I did detect a slight resistance when lifting the bolt on one rifle so I will be reducing the powder charge for that rifle.The other rifle showed no pressure signs and velocity averaged 3400fps.I will chronograph the other rifle when I finalize the load.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
When finalized, how about posting the load?

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
will do

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Are you worried about long range expansion with the TSX? This is the only reason I have not tried them yet! Too many horror stories.

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You wont be disappointed with this choice. I used the 180 TSX out of a 300 RUM last year on my cow elk. She wobbled maybe 30 feet and dropped. Shot was about 330-340 yards slightly up hill. Bullet was recovered just under the off side hide, had expanded to nearly double and retained 179.7 grains. one of the petals was deformed from bone crunching. I am using Retumbo, dont remember the load but i dont feel it was near max so velocity may not have been too high but accuracy was outstanding. and out of the 300 RUM I was comfortable with this combe out to 450-500 yards. will see if i can get a pic or two posted of the recovered bullet

Posts: 8 | Location: its a dry heat Arizona | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
used a 165 XLC out of a .308 warbird, shot a doe at ~900yds...1st try at long range shooting-stupid stunt because I wasn't trained enough, but hit her perfect nonetheless-and when we got down to her 45 minutes later, we saw that there was not a dramatic exit wound, yet there was half of a lung lying about 5 ft away from her. She was a yearling doe, very thin skinned, but the bullet definitely did it's job. I am a believer!

Formerly "the444shooter" I think I had about 73,000 posts before I had to re-register Wink

God Bless and Shoot Straight

God is a comedian playing to an audience afraid to laugh--Voltaire

Posts: 69 | Location: Big Sky Country, MT | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've got some 200 grain TSX to try this weekend in my 300 RUM. Let you know what I find out.

Posts: 16 | Location: California | Registered: 30 June 2004Reply With Quote