New
Find
Notify
Tools

burn it up?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
At the range Friday and asked a guy to chronograph my 22-250 for me, he said sure. So proceeded to test, his chrono so I let him shoot through it, shot 3 shots at 300 yds. .625" group.(cold barrel)
He says man it shoots very well for a foctory job,then looks at the readings from graph, and tells me I need to slow down the bullet.

SPEEDS were: high 3884
mid 3872
low 3861

AVERAGE 3872
He says with that much speed I'll burn up the "throat". But heck .75" 5 shot groups what would you do????

He told me to try moly coated bullets?
Back off on speed.

NEED HELP, but probably won't change a thing.

bigchast

Posts: 34 | Location: western NC | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How heavy is your bullet and how long is your barrel? If you are shooting 55 grain bullets, that is a hot load, if you are shooting 40 or 45 grain bullets you aren't overly hot. Lots of angles on throat erosion, powder used, velocity, etc.

Unless you plan on shooting thousands of those rounds, what the heck, shoot it....

regards,
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
That's what a 22-250 is for. As long as the loads are safe do what you want.

Every once in a while someone at the range comes over and tries to intimidate me. Most of the members know me but not all. I got a load of crap from a long range target shooter. He was shooting an AR 10 in 243 Win and claimed that it shot 1" groups at 200 yds!

He picked the wrong guy at the wrong time too fool with. I invited him to look thru my spotting scope at my 200 yd target where there were only outstanding groups from two sporters. He looked at the groups which were 3/4" and less and that shut him up.

My Swift's load with the 50 gr chrono's 4070 in hot weather and 4000 in cool weather. I intend to do it my way.

one of us
posted Hide Post
One doesn't, or shouldn't buy a 22-250 for barrel life. Its overbore and it is going to fry barrels. Why not load it hot and get some performance out of it. Anybody that thinks a few less grains of powder is going to preserve the barrel to any degree is kidding themselves.

You have a very accurate load. Don't worry about frying the barrel. Just go out and kill those varmints.

my 2 cents.

Don [Smile]

Posts: 263 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I have two favorite 22-250 loads. One is a 52 grain bullet at 3702 FPS and the other is a 55 grain bullet at 3414 FPS.

I have fired thousands of both through several rifles and none of the rifles have started to complain yet.

So, I can't tell you about throat erosion at 3800 FPS...but I can tell you there is no effective erosion at 3700 FPS.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can keep your head in the sand if you want to, but your fooling yourself saying there is no erosion going on in a 22-250 barrel shooting ANY load. Measure it new with a comparator and again every 500 rounds and you can graph the erosion, its pretty steady. It won't affect accuracy for a while and then one day you will find your groups opening up and you can't do a thing about it. Keep shooting it and eventually it will throw patterns. Barrels are like brake pads to a high volume shooter.

Posts: 1532 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
3 into 5/8" at 300 yards? If I had one of those with no pressure signs, I'd wet myself with enjoyment every trip to the range.

Rule of physics, it's gonna eat itself no matter what you do. Keep it cool and just smile at the guys that try to talk you into reducing the load.

Posts: 108 | Location: not where I was... | Registered: 09 November 2002Reply With Quote