Find
Notify
Tools

223 Blue Dot loads in Stevens 200
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted
I finally got my blue dot loads to the range today. I was shooting the Hornady Vmax 50 gr bullet in Rem brass and Rem primers. I started at 8.0 grs and went to 12.0 grs. Both the 10.0 and 12.0 grs loads looked promising, but the 12.0 gr load was the best load tested.

Recoil was slightly more than a 22 lr, and noise was about like a 22 mag. I shot these loads at 50 yards instead of 100. I intend to shoot these loads at tree squirrels this sunday with my daughter, so 50 yards should do the trick for head shots in the trees.

Here's some pics.

10.0 gr load

12.0 gr load

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Oh yes, these are also 5 shot groups. Sorry for the over exposure on the closeups.

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.223 Blue Dot loads, I have shot thousands.
Great groups.
Gun stays clean and cool.
Cheap.

But...
The case will hold too much.
Blue dot can hang up in powder measures.

So...
Make sure each charged case has no extra powder.
Look inside the charged case, or feel inside with a nail.

Also, Blue Dot hot loads are peaky and crazy.
You can't work up a load to brass expansion and back off 6% for safety margin ala Vernon Speer 1956.
Blue Dot needs to be backed off 20% from brass expansion pressure sign.

What does it all mean?
Blue Dot loads in .223 are great for shooting all day, but the handloading is more advanced than most handloading.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Slim, Used to use Blue Dot myself, but no longer mess with it. Ben from Alliant posted on here that it is not a Powder they recommend for Down-Loading.

Good post by tnekkcc. However, if you are determined to use Blue Dot, I'd strongly encourage you to use Pistol Primers and ALWAYS wear Safety glasses.

When tnekkcc was talking about the Blue Dot being "Erratic" in nature, I completely agree. Only problem is that by the time you notice it with Rifle Primers, you might be way too high.

If you use Pistol Primers, they have a better chance of Piercing and letting some of the too High Pressure loose a bit earlier.

There are much SAFER Down-Loading alternatives in the Reloading Manuals and at the Powder web sites.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess it's my fault for not including all the caveats, addendum's, and disclaimers, etc.

I've followed the blue dot threads rather extensively. I only hand throw each charge into the scale's pan, then throw it in the case via funnel, then seat the bullet. I do this one at a time, so NO risk of double charging. I don't use a powder measure. I have NO intention of trying to "hot rod" these loads.

With the groups I have in 12.0 grs, I'm contented to shoot these as is without pursuing higher charges.

I will use these loads for small game, and full power loads for coyotes.

Thanks. I know you guys are trying to help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had great performance and accuracy from 13.5gr and 52 A-Max.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote