Find
Notify
Tools

Powder ID/Win 270 P-P 130gr.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can anyone ID this powder?

I pulled the bullet from a factory Winchester Power-Point 130gr Cartridge.

Can anyone identify it?

Any ideas? It does great in my 270w...

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it's a factory load it will be a non-canister lot and not available to handloaders. And I doubt if anyone at the factory would tell you what it is. It's bought in very large quantities and the factory works up a load for pressure and velocity. Just as you will have to do with whatever you buy at your local sporting goods store. It would not be a very good idea to even attempt to guess what it is.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What was the weight of the charge? It may be a non-cannister lot, but maybe not. Let's just say I have a sneaking suspicion, but the weight of the charge would be a very strong clue as to whether I'm right. If you prefer, PM me with the weight data.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stop think about what your asking !. Powder from a manufacturing company is " proprietary " !. For several reasons . One being that they developed the load for a specific cartridge . Along with identification properties

All that being said , Powders are altered slightly with tracer elements along with an Accelerant or possibly a retardant for slowing burn rate. So as to customize an other wise " Stock " powder .

There are only so many smokeless powders manufactured , then these are altered as per request of manufactures .

Shoot straight know your target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all your replies...I appreciate it!!!

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote