New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wanted Hot loads for 270win
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Wanted Hot (but accurate) load for 270win with 150gr Nosler Partition, for Elk and Bear. Also what kind of velocity should I expect from a 26" tube? Thanks.

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
If you "must" have hot loads I don't think anyone can give them to you and say they will be safe all of the time.

You must work up the loads yourself but not hunt with the hottest load the rifle will take.

The latest Nosler manual lists ten powders for the 150 gr in the .270 and all of the powders give similar maximun velocities. Long ago Jack O'Connor said that 4831 was excellent. That's good advice.

You could use the ladder technique to find the max load.

I don't load hot anymore. It really does not make a bit of difference in the long run. If something blows up it may matter forever.

one of us
posted Hide Post
By hot I don't mean "unsafe" just a real world expectation. Personally the loads in the Nosler #4 manual looked a little weak compared to some I have heard. Of course one would work up to any warmer load. Thanks.

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Orion>
posted
H 4831 60gr 150 gr NP

3086 ft ps 24* Barel

weidmannsheil martin

one of us
posted Hide Post
when I was young and dumb I use to push the envolope with my rifles. Now Im a little wiser to many blown primers and stuck bolts. If you want something hotter the reloading manual says trade the gun on a 7 mag. Treat your guns like youd treat your women.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The newest hottest" load out right now, is Accurate Mag Pro Powder

In the 270 Win in a 24" barrel they max out at 61.5 gr of powder to give a 150 gr bullet 3,000 fps.

I just got some of this powder,a dn hope to shoot it this weekend.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Lloyd. Faster is not better. I have never gotten the most accuracy out of the hottest load listed in any reloading data. The most accurate had always been 1 to 2 grains below the max listed. Hot loads are nothing but trouble. Stay away from them.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was in my 270 does it all stage I did just that with a 150 speer or NP at 2850 fps and H4831. Trajectory was plenty good enough and the load worked well on anything up to elk.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
<anmlsrdelicious>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Mark G:
Wanted Hot (but accurate) load for 270win with 150gr Nosler Partition, for Elk and Bear. Also what kind of velocity should I expect from a 26" tube? Thanks.

<anmlsrdelicious>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by anmlsrdelicious:
quote:
Originally posted by Mark G:

I know this is going to sound like it is coming from left field,,,,but I have successfully used 140grain ballistic tips behind 56.0 grains of aa3100, and a fed210 match primer. My gun has a 22 inch tube, and has been 2950-2975fps over the chrono. I used the ballistic tips because I have not had one come unglued yet in my 270win. It seems like the velocities are moderate enough to keep the bullet together at the point of impact at the ranges I shoot game at,,typically 100-250yds. I know the ballistic tip is not a bullet designed for elk,,,and it is not a bullet I would recommend for any gun shooting 3000fps plus, but it seems to do well for me, probably because I keep the velocity modest. I'm not a real big fan of trying to push the 270win to the max. I believe that there are better cartridges designed for pushing the velocity limits without being tempermental with pressure signs. The 270win to me is more of a meat and potatoes cartridge,,,and it is my favorite. I have a 7stw,,,which in my opinion is a good cartridge to play with in terms of loads. I just don't have the same expectations of the 2 cartridges, and they both get used for their own purpose.

one of us
posted Hide Post
With Speer 150 spitzer, 58/H4831 (the old stuff) gives 3006 fps in 22" barrel. No excessive pressure indications in my Ruger M77.

Posts: 283 | Location: Florida | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RL-22 is very accurate for me with 150-gr. Hornady Spire Points and gets 2800-2850 (in a 22" barrel) with a couple grains *less* than book max, so work up carefully!

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The "best" hot load for a .270 Winchester is to have it rechambered for the .270 Weatherby and use almost any load listed...will give more velocity than your current .270. Might also go to the .270 WSM. for more velocity. Sad part is you would probably be asking for "hot" loads for these rounds also.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just because someone publishes a load, even a load which is clearly within reasonable pressure limits in their rifle, doesn't mean that it is safe or the velocity attainable in your rifle. If I tried most of the loads mentioned here in my pre-Garcia Sako, I would have to carry a rubber mallet around with me to open the bolt, and I would be "loading", not "reloading", because no case would last more than one shot. This is a rifle which does 3200 fps with a 130 grain bullet and two grains less powder than typical "book" loads.

While it is possible that SOME .270's may not exhibit excessive pressure with 60 grains of H4831 under a 150 grain bullet, those are unusual guns. The "hottest" load for your rifle can only be determined by trial and error in YOUR rifle.

H4831 is a good powder to try, as is IMR 7828 or RL22. Start with a conservative load and work up. With your 26" barrel, you should be able to do 2900 fps even in a "slow" barrel and I wouldn't be surprised if you can make 3000 fps or more if your barrel is a little "slicker". Only YOU or someone working with YOUR individual rifle can make that determination. But you're on the right track -- the 150 grain partition is the bullet of choice for elk in a .270.

[ 06-24-2002, 23:54: Message edited by: Stonecreek ]

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not go for the hotter loads . In my own experience I have never found a load that is accurate at the published Max . There might be exeptions to the rule but I dont agree with the one rifle likes them the other doesnt myth. I have found that a rifle works on harmonics , and I dont think a fiddle will play at its best with strings strung so hard that you end up breaking it . If you want "more" gun buy a bigger cal.

Regards
Rudie

Posts: 150 | Location: Witbank ,South - Africa | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Martin, in my two 20" barreled Mannlicher/Schoenauer .270's, I always used 53.5 grains of IMR 4350 with the 150-grain Nosler Partition bullet. It gave me 2880 FPS in the 20", 1/9" twist barrels, so would give close to or over 3000 in your 26" tube. In my rifles, this load was somewhat more accurate (1.25") than any H4831 load I had tried. WW cases, Federal 210 primers. Used this load extensively in Alaska for everything!! Plenty good!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used O'Conners, all the "old surplus 4831" you can put in a 270 case, 62 grs. with a 130 and 60 with a 150 gr and it sizzled, believe me...but that old powder is hard to come by these days..I still have about 20 lbs of it, but its not for sale.....I don't think you can get much over 58 grs of the new 4831 in a case. It is still the best powder for a 270..H4831 and the .270 are a marriage made in heaven.

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a stainless 22" Mountain Rifle in 270 that I bought from a scientist who was a great record keeper. Although I haven't tried it yet, he shows a load of 58grs if IMR4831,Federal GM210M primer pushing a Hornady 140 BTSP a whopping 3175 to 3200 out of the 22" barrel.I'm reluctant to try it as if it works I may look at my 7 Rem Mag in a whole new light.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Krakenberger>
posted
REMBO--I glanced at your post and thought "my gut instinct" says that's a do-able load. Quckload says it's hot but would probably work. BUT it gives max velocity at 2975fps. Maybe that gun of yours is unbelievably fast but I don't think it's going to embarass your 7 mag.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark G- I've been a 06 Improved (what I call the 270) for years. That said you're are asking for powders and speeds for the 270 with a 26" tube.

First about the propellents- for years I used IMR 4350 and H4831. However since R22 came on the scene I have used it almost exclusively (spelling?).

For my G33/40 with a 25" Lilja tube here are the speeds it will run. And I am comfy to shoot them year round.
130 and 135 MK=3300
150 Noz or Sierra=3100

With my 22" M77 here is the speeds it will run with R22.

130=3200
150=3000

I find the 270 to be a heck of a round, try R22 and see how it goes. I use W-W brass and BR2's.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark R. Dobrenski, In a word, WOW! [Eek!]

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
H4831 and the .270 are a marriage made in heaven.

Don't look now, but the .270, on my bench, seems to be having a torrid affair with RL-22, as of late. I currently see know reason to break them up, either.

RSY
[Big Grin]

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Mark D is spot-on regarding RL22... in my rifle RL22 pushes all bullet weights 50 fps faster than H4831 sc. I easily got 3,150 fps with 130's in my 22" bbl... I doubt there's a better powder for the 270, though Terry B's reccomendation of the new Accurate powder has my ear bent.

BA

one of us
posted Hide Post
RSy,
I'll put it this way the old 4831, no longer available had about the same burning rate as RL-22 and finer granulation and a 270 case will hold 62 grs. of it (that was O'Connors load )

I have embarresed many a 7MM mag. with my 270's..The old Speer 170 gr. RN would walk with the 7 mags 175 bullets, but alas no more the 170 gr., so the 7 mag rules the roost with 175 gr. bullets only....

Don't take this as critism of the 7 mag, but as a compliment to the 270...both are good calibers.

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote