THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    458 win mag die,powder,and bullet recommendations

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 win mag die,powder,and bullet recommendations
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just recieved my cases and would like to start making some cartridges in the near future.Does anyone have experience with the 458 win mag?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, I got a similar response when I started on a .458WM.
I can tell you how not to do it, and my best load is with a powder not available to you, which is similar to ar2206H BLC(2), H335, H4895 etc.
There has been a few posted on AR that I copied out by hand, one with AA2230 is supposed to be good. If you can't find them with a search, let me know and I'll type you a PM.
(That way if I got some wrong we only lose one AR shooter)

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks JAL,I did a search and got a load with AA2230 along with some others including Ricciardellis.I am looking forward to testing loads for this round.I am also going to try Vit 530.Is it nessesary to crimp rds with straight wall cases? I might buy the Redding competition dies unless I hear of better ones.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Thanks JAL,I did a search and got a load with AA2230 along with some others including Ricciardellis.I am looking forward to testing loads for this round.I am also going to try Vit 530.Is it nessesary to crimp rds with straight wall cases? I might buy the Redding competition dies unless I hear of better ones.

I crimp all of mine & H335 is my favorite powder beer

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep for a magazine gun I quess they need a good crimp. My biggest problem was getting a good crimp while compressing the powder. Too much and the bullet came loose or the neck wrinkled.
What fun.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a sporter weight Zastava (now Rem798) awhile back. It's favourite load used the 350gr Hornady and AR2207 (H4198) which got me 2470fps. Heavy loads used a Woodleigh 480gr and AR2206H (H4895) for an easy 2060fps.
I used RCBS dies ... but would settle for Lee dies and a Lee factory crimp die.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Con:
I had a sporter weight Zastava (now Rem798) awhile back. It's favourite load used the 350gr Hornady and AR2207 (H4198) which got me 2470fps. Heavy loads used a Woodleigh 480gr and AR2206H (H4895) for an easy 2060fps.
I used RCBS dies ... but would settle for Lee dies and a Lee factory crimp die. Cheers...
Con

I ruined 1 case, Declared Bullshit and bought a Lee factory crimp die clap I use Hornady Dies in .458WM

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tsturm,did you ruin the case with the Lee dies?Did anyoneone have problems by not crimping? I see in the Barnes manual that reloader 7 gives 2200,now that is awesome!BTW,loads with H335 are listed in the Barnes and Swift books.Are the Hornady dies better than the Redding dies?I see in the AR reloading pages that W748 is an accurate powder with good results.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
both redding and rcbs dies are great dies. its all i prefer. i am currently using my first set of forester/ bonanza bech rest dies and i have ben really happy with them

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I ruined 1 case, Declared Bullshit and bought a Lee factory crimp die clap I use Hornady Dies in .458WM

Same here. Don't even try loading the .458 Win. Mag. without the Lee Factory Crimp Die. It will save you tons of aggravation! Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
tsturm,did you ruin the case with the Lee dies?Did anyoneone have problems by not crimping? I see in the Barnes manual that reloader 7 gives 2200,now that is awesome!BTW,loads with H335 are listed in the Barnes and Swift books.Are the Hornady dies better than the Redding dies?I see in the AR reloading pages that W748 is an accurate powder with good results.

Not the die's fault. just trying to crimp & seat in 1 step(a real time saver Big Grin)
There is nothing wrong with Lee Dies that I have or RCBS or Hornady! I have not tried Redding yet, not easly avalible in my area rotflmo Unless you are shooting benchrest a die is a die. I just purchased a Expensive bsnchrest die set in 357 Herrett that came with the wrong decaping spindle & expander mandrell. They all pretty much make a good product & they ALL F/U on occasion. I would have purchased Lee dies in 458 but Hornady was on the shelf. I have Not found a powder that was any more accurate than the other in the 458. clap I have had bullets move with out a crimp in 400g & 500g. You will love the .458WM cheers

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
H4198 and the 350gr Hornady are the Bomb!

Posts: 257 | Location: The Greatest Country on Earth! | Registered: 04 October 2006Reply With Quote