New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dillon die adjustment
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have several Dillon 550 presses which are used for several different calibers. Thinking of getting a Dillon AT 500 to be kept within reach of the shooting bench for developing loads and using with a Harrelson powder measure and powder scale.

This is all in an indoor shooting facility with chronograph and the rest of the equipment permanently set up. The AT 500 would be within reach so the load developer would never have to leave his seat at the bench. Currently doing this with Wilson hand dies and other presses such as the Lee Turret and RCBS presses, but these obviously require all the dies to be completely reset when moved to the Dillons.

How much tolerance is there from one Dillon 550 to the next ? If dies are adjusted in the toolhead for the AT 500 while working up loads, then shifted to the 550s, will they be close to right in the sizing, powder drop, bullet seating, and crimping dies ?

Dillon people advise that there will always be differences between presses, which is just like saying there is always differences between guns. Yet we load ammo that is used in maybe a dozen different 1911s satisfactorally or even in a dozen different 223 varmint rifles all good enough for prairie dogs.

Obviously, loads for British double rifles have to be developed individually due to regulating for the two barrels.

This is not a commercial operation. All ammo is shot by the load developer.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think it will work. The AT500 doesn't utilize the index sprocket or the powder measure return bracket. The sprocket is above the shellplate so shouldn't matter. But I had to readjust every one of my dies when I converted from the AT500 configuration to that of the RL550B. The mismatch is about one tenth of an inch. Part #13885 on the 550B parts list is the culprit. Make up a shim for under the shellplate platform and you should be in business.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Thanks for the response. Had not thought of those different parts and their effect.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote