New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder causing rust on canister lids
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I got some old H4831 that a guy had stored in a gallon lacquer thinner can for many years. Smells fresh and has no sign of deterioration (dusty it is not). However I put the pound or so of it I got into a Hodgens pound powder canister, the plastic kind of recent make. In two months when I looked for it to load some it had rusted the lid almost thru and a lot of rust was growing on it. I loded some of it on my 7MM RM and it shoots just fine, 3 shot groups under an inch out of my rifle using 140 gr. Ballistic Tips. I put the rest of the powder in a mason jar and it too has rusted the lid pretty badly after only a month or so. I had cleaned the 7MM RM and there is no sign of rust in it's bore. What do any of you think of this?

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a pound of the new H4831 in the late 70s and it also rusted everything that was steel that was close to the can. The ammo that I had loaded with it also started to deteriorate and corrode. Case necks split. I finally fired the 300 wm a few months ago and they still fired. I tore down the 270 wby to salvage the bullets and gave the powder to the recyclers on their pick up day. So if you have anything loaded with it I would either shoot it or tear it down to save the brass. The powder also looked like it had a small amount of oil mixed in as the powder stuck together.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd dump it if I were you.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
coffeeShot it all up quick. Roll Eyesroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It does form clumps on top of the powder. I think I'll give it back to the guy I got it from. I'll also shoot the 17 rounds of ammo I have loaded with it.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
coffeeIf I had that powder ,before I gave it back I would put about 200 grains in about 4 oz. of water over night and than in the morning measure the acidity with litmus paper. Than pour the contents on a fine mesh T-shirt, spread it out and let it dry in the sun. When absolutly dry I would load a couple cartridges on the mild side and try them. But than that's just my curious mind at play. fishingroger

Oh! Wash the T-shirt before you ware it again.

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote