Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady 7mm 162 BTSP Performance?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
I have shot these in my 7mm rem mag and they are very very accurate. I get 2" groups at 300 yds consistently.

All I have ever shot personally is antelope with this load (3000 fps) and it has worked great. However due to the fact that it is a boattail with only the interlock feature holding core/jacket together I am kinda nervous.

What kind of performance have you guys experienced on big game especially at high velocities? Thanx

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello;
This is the only bullet I have ever shot out of my 7 mm Magnum and have never been disappointed. I have used it on deer, moose, elk and black as well as grizzly bears. On my latest moose at 100 yards the retained bullet weight was 102 gr. after transversing the chest cavity.
Grizz

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
I like hearing this seeing that I'm about to load them for two 7mags and a 280.

I have faith in Hornady bullets and would not worry about jacket seperation too much. The Interloc has more holding the jacket on than Nosler ballistic Tips and Sierra Game kings.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I never got very good accuracy form the 162 Hornady with my 7Mag, but have got excdellent accuracy with their flat base bullets.

I would think that your bullet would do fine.

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used this bullet in my 7 mag on whitetails with great success. It shoots well in my Browning A bolt using H4831. Velocity around 3000 fps and under an inch group at 100 when I do my part.

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Thanx guys. I feel better. My buddies use it on elk and have reported great performance. Just wanted a second opinion. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As an aside, I've not used that bullet on game yet, but I've found that bullet to be the most consistently accurate performer in the 7mm Remington Magnum. Whenever I test a 7mm Rem Mag, that's the bullet I choose, with a good charge of IMR 4831 -- just like the Hornady manual says. I'm glad to learn that it seems to perform equally well on game [Smile]

Posts: 254 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 10 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
P-17

same here

<Dale>
posted
I have also just used this bullet in the 7mm Rem. on antelope. It is very accurate, works great, and the exit hole is only about 1". My load is 73.0/H-1000, Win. brass, and Fed. 215 primer. I think it would be a fine bullet for deer also. I have not used it for elk, but have used both the 160 and 175 gr. Nosler for elk (several elk with each bullet) without a problem. For the small difference in cost, I will still use the Noslers on elk. I know they work, and feel the Hornady's may not penetrate quite as well.