New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good loads for 235gr. Speers (.375)?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Do any of you guys have favorite loads for the 235 grain Speers in a .375 H&H? It looks like a well made bullet that might take a little more velocity than the flat nosed Hornadys before becoming shrapnel.

I am mostly looking for a good deer load for my .375.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 93 | Location: san antonio, texas | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
kynadog I shot a pretty good buck last season with a 235 Speer and 64 gr. of IMR 3031. I have a lot of 3031 on hand. This is not a full power load, but it knocked the deer down in his tracks with a quartering hit behind the shoulder at 100 to 110 yards, with minimal meat loss. I have also killed deer with the 220 Hornady and 60 gr of IMR 3031. It also preformed very well. I hit a doe facing me at 175 yards, the 220 gr was recovered in the rear ham while I was processing the meat. It looked like the perfect advertisement photo. The other 220gr was a broadside shot at about 125 yards, complete penetration.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favourite load for the 235 grain Speer is 74 grains of Vihtavouri N-150. Very precise in my guns, but the velocity may be a little high for deere hunting, I only shoot paper with this bullet. (I actually shot a roe deer with it once, what was left of it after the bullet impacted died very swiftly) I would not reduce this load much either, but use a better bullet for hunting.

Tron

Posts: 210 | Location: Oslo, Norway | Registered: 04 October 2002Reply With Quote