New
Find
Notify
Tools

reloading for pistol question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have reloaded for rifles but never handguns. Looking to reload for my 9mm. Any suggestions on what to look out for? Any differences in procedure that you can think of? I plan on trying to use jacketed hollwo point in 125gr.

Posts: 27 | Location: MN | Registered: 27 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can take the muzzle flash, Power Pistol gives the most velocity.

I use RP primed brass and throw them away after one shot.

Case support usually determines how hot the round can be loaded.

I measured case support by holding a barrel and putting in a case and scribing a line with a needle on the case as far forward as the chamber will allow. With dial calipers I then measured the distance from the base to the mark.
To measure web thickness [the rear wall of a cartridge] I sectioned cases with a cut off wheel in a Dremel tool. I then measured the thickness with a dial caliper.

Pistol / case sup / case web / margin

Glock 19 9mm / .190 / .160 / -.030"
Kel-Tec P11 / .190 / .160 / -.030
Star Firestar / .165 / .160 / -.005
CZ52 9mm / .145 / .160 / +.015

Even with the poor case support of the Kel-Tec and Glock, I was able to shoot overloads way in excess of the +P+ factory loadings.

I find with most with most powders [like Bullseye, Unique, Power Pistol, Blue Dot, 2400, 80X, AA#9, H110, and LIL'GUN] with 115 and 124 gr. bullets, not enough powder will fit in the case to make problems with pressure for 9mm, even in barrels with the case only supported .190" and the case web at .160".

The exceptions are AA#5, HS-6, and 3N37. These powders have the speed- density product to blow out the case head with 115 gr. JHP 1.169"

If I overload Power Pistol in 125 gr., at about 11 gr. [~65% overload] the primer pierces. That pressure spike is because the case is full and the compression is squishing the bullet [the dreaded bullet pinch pressure spike]. Pre compression of the powder enables me to get to 100% overloads with some bullets.

CZ52s have paper thin chamber bottoms that split with overloads.

[ 08-20-2003, 18:23: Message edited by: Clark ]

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Eric>
posted
Clark,

I'm not arguing, or critizing, just curious. Isn't that an awful lot of work, just to pitch the case after one loading? Do you save that much money instead of just buying your 9mm by the case?

Ridgerunner,

I've had good luck with AA powders, but also use lots of Unique and Bullseye. They "go a long way." Reloading is pretty straight forward and Clark covered most of the issues. I'd just recommend carbide dies and a taper crimp.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
You didn't say what type of press you have, but a progressive will go along way toward making pistol ammo economical to reload. For pistol rounds, carbide dies are the only way to go. Watch your LOA, it must fit into the mag. You can't go wrong w/ any of the powder nullet combos in the current loading manuals. Unique is a good place to start, you can't really get enough in the case to overload. I would also stay away from +p loads if you are only loading practice ammo. The cases will last you many loadings, you loose more cases than you'll wear out.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 9X19 is one of the most fun rounds to reload, and the above advice is very good. I would just add that the 147 grain bullets are not worth fooling with, because they just take up too much case capacity.

Also, to add to your fun, consider picking up a new Hi Point 9MM Carbine (around $185) and load high pressure rounds for it as well - 1600 fps with 124 grain XTPs with Blue Dot or Power pistol makes it hit like a 6 inch 357 mag and there is almost NO recoil. It has ghost rings and a pistol grip, weighing about 4 lbs at 32 inches OAL with a 16 inch bbl. It has a heavy, solid internal slide and is ultra reliable and very strong.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eric,
my hobby: overloading. I am not saving money.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Clark,

You are one sick and scary SOB. At least you did state they were overloads. I just hope no one reads your crazy posts and tries to replicate your results. It would be like the Jackass stunts of the shooting world.

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Clark have you tried Mil brass in your overloads? I have a pile of TZZ 45acp that works well for me. I don't ususally play with 9mm, but did try some bluedot and reached 357 velocities with a slight overload.

As far as equipment selection, I'll second the carbide dies. I use a Dillon 550 and love it. The only hangup I have is it doesn't like CCI small pistol primers. I ususally buy in bulk and now have 10,000 CCI small pistol primers that don't work well in my Dillon. [Frown]

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LAR45,
I have overloaded to see what happens in .223, .243, 25acp, 257 Roberts AI, 32acp, 32sw, 32S&WLong, 32-20, 7.62x25mm, 7.62x54R, 8x57mm, 9x19mm, 9x23mm, 357 Sig, 38 sp, 357 mag, 38sw, 40sw, 10mm, 10.4mm, 45acp, 45Colt, 452/70, .410, and 45/70.

I have put alot of effort in to some, and little in others. In 45 acp overloads I have experience limited to 4 guns, Power Pistol, AA#4, LONGSHOT, 2400, CCI200 large rifle primers, 152 gr cast, 185 gr FMJ, and 230 gr FMJ.

In 45acp overloads, TZ fails at the same load as any other 45acp brass including Starline 45 Super brass and 460 Rowland brass with respect to the load required to make the brass flow and the primer fall out.

The exception is if presure is limited by case support at the feed ramp. In that case, Starline +P brass is the best and gets me to a little passed the 45 Super pressure levels in the worst case support barrels: .235" from the back of the case with a .180" thick case web. Don't try that with TZ.

Blue Dot can be nasty in 357 overloads. I was two grains passed max of 357 mag in a Colt Agent 38 Special with Alluminum frame, when the frame bent. My attitude is ignore what Alliant claims for Blue Dot velocities in 357 mag. I have written them and they won't recant. I like LIL'GUN in 357 mag with 158 gr bullets, wspm, and pre compressed powder.

[ 08-21-2003, 19:38: Message edited by: Clark ]