THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Standard LARGE RIFLE Primers in 44 Magnum?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm posting this too in the LEVER ACTION Forum...

I am soon going to acquire one of the 1970s Winchester 94 models made in 44 Magnum. Now I have a stack of standard large rifle primers...and no standard large pistol primers at all.

So my question.

Would any harm be done...or even some benefit...by using these large rifle primers in 44 Magnum in my 20" barrel Winchester 94 in that calibre?

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
A large rifle primer while the same dia is taller than a large pistol primer. So unless you want to cut your pockets deeper stick to the pistol primers.

Stole this:
According to SAAMI, the depths for small pistol, small rifle, and large pistol primer pockets are .118" to .122", while large rifle primer pocket depths are .128" to .132

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I'd thought that just as 357 Maximum used Small Rifle Primers so could 44 Magnum use Large Rifle Primers.

But... homer ...as you say Large Rifle are TOO TALL!

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ramrod--
Thanks for the info. I was wondering about it myself, as I use small rifle primers instead of small pistol primers in some of my pistol loads. They work fine as long as the hammer hits hard enough to crush the primer and I work them up myself with that combo.....

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote