New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moly coating
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
I moly coated some projectiles yesterday, and I'm very pleased with the results.
I soaked the bullets (140gr Taipans in 6.5)in metho and dryed them off, then placed them in a screw top plastic container with 2 sizes of ball bearings. In went a small amount of moly and the jar went into my case tumbler. After 2 hours of shaking they came out very nice indeed (If I do say so myself [Big Grin] )
Now were did I put those .22 bullets.......

Bakes

Posts: 8053 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I skip the cleaning process I just dump the bullets in a pill bottle with a small amount of moly put them in the tumbler with media for about thirty minutes and the bullets look as good.

Posts: 56 | Location: WV | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DON"T skip the cleaning!!! I did and the moly did not stick!! I LOVE MOLY!!!!! [Wink] [Wink] [Razz]

Posts: 49 | Location: Lisbon, Oh. USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
When I started using moly several years ago, I didn't clean the bullets first.If they set for a year or so in the box, the oil or whatever it is on the bullets started comeing through. It has been my experiance that they should be cleaned with a solvent before aplying the moly. I use the jar in the tumbler with BBs method too.
Good luck

Posts: 14 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 14 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bakes;
Good job! The first few batches I did I didn't bother with the cleaning ritual and all was fine then I had a batch I didn't clean and all the coating the bullets got was what looked like a very light dusting. I clean every batch now and haven't had a problem since. [Big Grin]

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Though other Bullet Manufacturers "may" wash their bullets prior to shipment now, but it used to be that only Sierra did it.

Most leave the "Forming Die Lubricant" on the bullet jackets. In a small way it does help pervent tarnishing and corrosion. But, if you want Moly to get properly peened into the jacket, it really does need to be removed.

I soak my bullets in hot water and good old "Dawn" dishwashing liquid for about 30min. About evey 10min I reach in the bucket and give them a swirl. Then rinse them off in more hot water and set out in the sun for a few minutes.

Oh yes, DO NOT touch the bullets after washing.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
<RustyRifling>
posted
The above commentary is rather facinating. Not because of content, but because it's interesting that anyone is still using moly. I wonder why?

<Lightnin>
posted
Rustyrifling,
I use it to extend my cleaning interval which is all its good for. It definately reduces fouling.

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Rustyrifling
My 6.5 barrel is a new Military barrel and metal fouls quite badly. I'm trying moly to see if it helps. If it doesn't well all it cost me was some ballbearings and a small amount of time. And I like mucking about with guns and stuff so I thought I'd give it ago.

Bakes

Posts: 8053 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RustyRifling:
...it's interesting that anyone is still using moly. I wonder why?

Hey RustyRifling, What bad "first-hand experience" have you had with good old Moly?

Other than being a bit aggravating to get peened into the jacket, it is absolutely great stuff for my rifles. I plan to use it until something better comes along.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote