New
Find
Notify
Tools

magnum primers in '06 loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone but me use magnum primers in their 30-06 loads? Seems like the '06 is right on the dividing line between large rifle and magnum.

I went for years with large rifle. No problems. Good ignition, good accuracy. Then I ran out. So I started using from a brick of magnums that I had (backed the powder down 1 gr.)Still very accurate.

I am curious if you have run into any downsides of this practice.

Posts: 93 | Location: san antonio, texas | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use magnum primers with the slower powders, like 4350, 4831, and the ball powders. Works well for me.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kyna - I have NEVER seen an advantage to magnum primers in anything....other than putting an extra $buck in the manufacturer's pocket with each brick you purchase.

I'll probably get stoned to death for saying that but such has been my observation over some 45 years of reloading.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
kynadog,

The '06 case size doesn't require a mag primer for good ignition. The only exception may be the use of slow burning ball powders during cold weather. That is the only time I think they might help. [Smile]

<eldeguello>
posted
I have used them from time to time in smaller cases like the '06 and 7X57mm, but didn't see a lot of difference in either velocity, accuracy or APPARENT pressure. I don't generally use them in non-magnum cases. however. [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience tends to confirm the theory that magnum primers don't give any advantage in smaller capacity--maybe '06 or smaller--cases. Once I tried CCI magnum primers with a .223 load using Winchester 748 powder. Accuracy was poor. When I switched to a regular, non magnum, CCI primer, all else the same, accuracy improved considerably.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use magnum primers in a 06 load that stuffs the case full of Re22. Other than that I have had good results with regular puny primers.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found that Magnum primers work best in Magnum rifles and standard primers work best in non magnum rifles, amazing isn't it?

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I have found that Magnum primers work best in Magnum rifles and standard primers work best in non magnum rifles, amazing isn't it?

Except that my 375 H&H seems to work better with the standard Winchester WLR (non-magnum) primer. Is the 375 H&H a magnum or not? Maybe, although it has a belt, it's borderline?

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Reloader66>
posted
Nothing in cast in stone when it comes to what a hunting rifle will or will not like. I find that the 300 Winchester magnum case and larger is the starting point for using magnum primers. In my case my 300 Winchester magnum shoots fantastic groups with Federal standard large rifle primers. I see no reason to use a magnum primer in the 06 case except if your out of standard large rifle primers and the fridge has no meat in the freezer. Magnum primers were designed to produce a hotter flame that will ignite large powder charges for more consistant performance. If your rifle will group well with standard large rifle primers why use magnum primers.

It is always best to use the proper tool for the job being performed. Using High test gas in any engine designed to run efficently on regular fuel is not wise and a waiste of hard earned money. With over 40 years experience behind me reloading, I stick to the basics and find success more often than not. Reloading manuals contain many millions of hours of hard work and testing we need not do. Those men know their craft and I believe what they put in writing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the only time I can remember reading where a magnum primer was recommended in a 30-06 was for hunting in near zero weather.

Posts: 230 | Location: Alabama; USA | Registered: 18 May 2003Reply With Quote