Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS carbide pistol expander plug.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted
I bought a new set of the RCBS carbide pistol set for a 45ACP a couple of months ago and have found out that they have redesigned the expander plug.

The new expander plug has an intermediate size increase a short distance from the belling portion. When you're trying to seat lead bullets and want to bell the mouth of the case an adequate amount to prevent the shaving of the lead and lube when the bullet is seated, you will find that the new designed plug will give you a 3/1000 ridge midway down the case.

I called RCBS and told them my dilemma and was told that the new expander plug will straighten the bullet as it enters the case and that I didn't need to bell the mouth enough to create that mid-case ring. I told them that the bullets were .452, I can put the bullets in straight myself, and I did need to bell that mouth that much to safely seat the bullets to shoot in a match grade barrel and their response was the corporate "it's within specs".

Disappointed with the expander plug and the response to a call and also to an email.

Will go buy a set of their competitors dies to eliminate the problems.

Be warned.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you post pictures of the ridge in the case?

Jon Larsson - Hunter - Shooter - Reloader - Mostly in that order...Wink

Posts: 682 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Will go buy a set of their competitors dies to eliminate the problems.

Well, don't buy Reddings, they have also copied the Lyman M expander design. Most folks love 'em no matter the color of the box. ??

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you loaded with the new dies and shot the ammo in your gun?

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote