New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loaded 458 Win Mag Case Taper???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Probably a dumb question but I'm still curious. In a loaded 458 cartridge, how much taper is there, typically, from the case mouth to the base of the bullet(I realize that bullets have different lengths.) I saw that the SAAMI max cartridge dimensions show a continuous taper from the case mouth to the belt(.014" per inch). Does that work well for bullet tension? Is wall thickness of the brass thinner for a certain distance from the case mouth then gradually gets thicker, or does it just gradually get thicker from the case mouth to the base? I appreciate your help.

Sent from my iPhone

Posts: 665 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The SAAMI drawing does not take into consideration that your sizing die makes the brass smaller than the bullet and then, you insert the neck expander in there, it makes the inside parallel. Case walls do get thicker the farther back you go, but in the area of bullet tension (neck), it is slight, and the taper, slight as well, so your neck tension is fairly uniform. I sense that you have a lot of time on your hands to think about this since it has worked for a long time. All straight walled cases have this phenomenon to some extent.

Posts: 17190 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I sense that you have a lot of time on your hands to think about this since it has worked for a long time.

Not sure exactly what you are implying by that, but I appreciate your response. I've never had the pleasure of holding 458 Win cartridge in my hands, so all I had to go by was the SAAMI specs. I had it in my head that the bullet tension relied heavily on the crimp. By looking at the drawing it appeared only the first bit if the case mouth would have good tension on the bullet, then the case would taper out leaving less and less tension towards the base of the bullet. Obviously, I thought wrong. It's in my nature to want to know how things work, that's all. Plus I have my 458 Win Mag on the way, so I have to learn to reload for the darn thing. I've only reloaded bottle neck cartridges and pistol cartridges. Never a "straight walled" rifle cartridge. It seems to be a lot like reloading for a handgun cartridge.

Sent from my iPhone

Posts: 665 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+Templar+ crimp with a LEE factory crimp die. Better than roll crimp. I have had problems with roll crimp actually loosening grip on the bullet.

Yes the case will hold the bullet with good tension, for bolt action I use the lee die.

Good luck and good shooting.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1940 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I'm too lazy to cut open a 458 case to see how the wall thickness varies. Since I sold my 458 I might not even have one any longer. I do know my old Hornady dies would size the case far enough that the bullet would actually have to expand the case as it was seated. It would hold the bullet without a crimp. Didn't have a lee crimp die so I had to work with die to get it to crimp correctly.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I only meant that it seemed that you, like me, spend a lot of time contemplating on how things work; and the first thing we do on getting anything new, is take it apart. Even if it works correctly.
You are right, loading straight walled cases is like loading pistol ammo. No need to worry about the case taper affecting the bullet pull; your dies will work there. One thing TO be concerned about with the 458 is that some loads want to be highly compressed as the 458 is not a huge case. I didn't like compressing loads too much as they can cause the bullet to be pushed out; hence the need for a good crimp. This is why they invented the .458 Lott. Personally, I found the 458 to hold enough powder; but I no longer own one.

Posts: 17190 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote