New
Find
Notify
Tools

Berger Bullet DVD ??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just watched the Berger DVD with lots of long range kills.

Anybody else seen it? Like 700 yard Deer and Elk kills.

Also saw a fellow shoot a Big Bear at 400 + yards, and "Bang Flop"..on another show.

Are Bergers really that good?

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't use Berger hunting bullets, but it is my understanding that all Berger bullets are built using the same standards and tolerances. The match Bergers I use in .308 .224 and 6mm are the best mass produced bullets I have ever used. There are very few culls in a box and lot to lot consistency is very good.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read some posts on here from the Berger Guy about the VLD bullet and that it was great for hunting. I guess the video is on their website?

I understand that Berger is considered one of the most accurate bullets around. True and why?

I might need to try some. This reloading for accuracy thing is going to obsess me and drive me crazy. There's just too many possible component combo's and not enough time and $ to do it all.

I guess you just have to be happy with what you can get out of your gun in the way of accuracy based on that.......

One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rcamuglia:
I read some posts on here from the Berger Guy about the VLD bullet and that it was great for hunting. I guess the video is on their website?

That is correct, you can watch a short clip of the video on their website, or you can request a copy of the DVD for like $5 or so.

I understand that Berger is considered one of the most accurate bullets around. True and why?

True.
They use the highest quality copper and lead to eliminate impurities during mfc process.
They also are very very picky....with tolerences listed below, The actual results are usually tighter than these tolerances allow:
........ 20 gr to 60 gr -- +or- 0.05 gr
....... 62 gr to 115 gr -- +or- 0.1 gr
....... 120 gr to 168 gr -- +or- 0.15 gr
..........175 gr to 210 gr -- +or- 0.2 gr

All jackets, cores and bullets within a given lot are made with one die to guarantee consistency.
Each bullet is made on a die that is designated for that bullet. This die is set aside and used again for all lots until this one die wears out.

J4 Precision Jackets are the only bullet jackets in the world known for less than .0003 total wall thickness variation on every size and lot. This has been true for decades and is provable by checking any lot. There are those who claim that they can meet this tolerance and we know that they can every once and a while, but to do this with every single lot is something that only J4 has perfected. Anyone who wants to can order jackets and check them yourself. This is an absolutely critical aspect of precision bullet performance and we are the only bullet company with this capability. To name a few reasons
![QUOTE]

I shot a total of 3 whitetails this fall with my .270 WSM loaded with 140 gr VLD's.

The first a buck, he took a shot at 80 yards through the lungs...it exited, he turned uphill, made it to about 110 yards where I put another in his onside shoulder...he dropped dead on the spot!

The second was a yearling doe, she was hit in the lungs/liver at about 430 yards, she ran about 60-80 yards and piled up dead.

The third was a HUGE doe, shot at about 45 yards, shot hit her onside shoulder, she stumbled about 20-25 yards and fell down dead!

You can see that they do work, and work well!

They are also a company that stands behind their product. If you do go with Berger and aren't satisfied, just let Eric know and he will do everything in his power to make you satisfied with Berger bullets!

Load info is also available directly from Walt himself...they will have a manual out in the future, but for now offer free of charge any reloading info you may need for their bullets!

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Went to the site and read the info too

In your experience are the Berger's more accurate in your guns?

Interesting video. I would be worried that the bullet wouldn't hold up under high velocity impacts on game being that it is a target bullet. I bet that's why it's good at long range when the velocity is way down.

Do you load it slower for those close shots or does the bullet perform as advertised?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
Went to the site and read the info too

In your experience are the Berger's more accurate in your guns?

Interesting video. I would be worried that the bullet wouldn't hold up under high velocity impacts on game being that it is a target bullet. I bet that's why it's good at long range when the velocity is way down.

Do you load it slower for those close shots or does the bullet perform as advertised?

I can say that Berger's are extremely accurate in both my .270 WSM and my 22-250. I cannot account for them being more or less accurate than a lot of bullets because of the few types that I have tried. I would say that from the amount of bench rest shooters that enjoy the accuracy of Bergers that yes, they are more accurate than a lot of bullets out there.

For deer, I wasn't worried about the 140 gr VLD opening up too rapidly at close ranges. From the couple of close range shots that I took, I could tell that they did open up violently, but they also penatrated at least an inch before doing so (Berger states that under perfect conditions they penetrate up to 3"), even at 40 yards. So I guess for the closer ranges, you may want to slow your bullet down a bit to allow for better penetration.

This fall I am planning a moose hunt with my .270 WSM, I will be performing some penetration tests this summer to see exactly how far a 150 gr VLD will penetrate, and also the wound cavity associated with this particular bullet. I'm thinking I may have to slow them down in order to penetrate a moose, if I hit any bone on the way in. But for long range shots I'm not too concerned!

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool.

Hey CoyoteKiller82....

Check out the chat on the small caliber forum about my 930 yard coyote. I'm getting ganged up on cuz it wasn't a 1 shot kill!

Read my last post.......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That musta been one heckofa shot! To hit a coyote at all at that range is sweet, even if it wasn't in the boiler room, you were still amazingly close with your shot to at least keep it from running off wounded.

I commend you on quickly finding and dispatching your game. I've seen guys miss 100 yard shots and totally gut shoot a coyote that would then clean get away, guts trailing behind it. It all depends on who's pullin' the trigger and how comfortable they are with the shot.....at least in my books. Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

I quoted you in my defense on the other forum

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting Berger VLDs in .300 Mag and 6.5 X 55 Sweed for about a year. I can say from my own experience that they are definitely the most accurate bullets I've used. The 6.5 shot a .265" group @ 100 yds. The 300 is not that great, but I think it's me, or I haven't found the right combination of components yet. Anyway, I don't think you can go wrong with the Bergers in MHO.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I've got the video. Bergers work as advertised. I'll be in Ontario in a week for a wolf hunt. Here's my primary load:

100 Yards, .137":

200 Yards, .460":

That's a 150 VLD in my 270 with 51.0 IMR4350 and a 215 Match primer.

My back up rifle and load will likely be my 7mag with the 168 VLD over 71.0 H1000. It shoots almost as well. I shot my KY buck last year at 50 yards with my 308 and a VLD bullet. No problems.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc........

Those groups are very impressive. I have been working hard to try to attain accuracy like that but just don't think it can be done with the rifles I own.

Obviously you have some great rifles. Who built them and can you give some specifics about them?

I can see the writing on one of the targets. What kind of barrel?

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Doc........

Those groups are very impressive. I have been working hard to try to attain accuracy like that but just don't think it can be done with the rifles I own.

Obviously you have some great rifles. Who built them and can you give some specifics about them?

I can see the writing on one of the targets. What kind of barrel?
Thanks. It only took over 20 years to do it. Big Grin

The 270 was built by Greg Richards, former owner of Broughton barrels. He sold the company to Tim North. The action is a blueprinted 700. The bbl is a #3 stainless made by Greg cut 24" long. The stock is a Jim Borden Rimrock with a decelerator pad. Scope is Leupold 4.5x14 VXIII.

Weight sorted Win brass to half grain and Berger's brand new VLDs available in .277. I chose the 150 grain to try first and obviously have no regrets.

I chose the Fed 215 Match primers b/c I specifically worked up this load for a cold weather wolf hunt (I'll be leaving in a week). But the powder charge is not at max.

It's taken a little longer to find the sweet spot with the 7mag. In fact I had to change powders and start the process a second time. I'm good with it's current load at 71.0 gr H1000 and 168 VLD. This is also a blueprinted 700 Action with a 24" #4 Shilen installed by Shilen. Stock is factory wood but pillar and glass bedded.

The 7mm bullets have the secant ogive and I seated those .010 off the lands. The .277 bullets still have the VLD boat tail but have the tangent ogive. I was able to seat those a little deeper and in fact, they were less picky on seating depth for accuracy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You've done well.

I've heard the term "blueprinted action" many times but I don't know the definition.

What process "blueprints" an action?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found it:

http://www.vandykerifles.com/blueprint.htm

I'm sure this is costly.....

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
I found it:

http://www.vandykerifles.com/blueprint.htm

I'm sure this is costly.....

Not really. Couple hundred bucks, maybe a little more or less. I'd say $225 on average.