Find
Notify
Tools

270 TSX Range Report.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted
I just returned from the range. I went toward the end of the day so I only had about 75 minutes of shooting time.

I was shooting my pillar bedded Remington 700 BDL in 270. I was trying out some handloads of 130 grain TSX over H4350 in R-P brass and Fed 210M primers. I had worked up 5 rounds each in load increments starting at 52.5 grains to 57 grains. I seated the boolits 0.050" off the lands.

I shot the first 4 groups (52.5 to 54 grains).
The groups ranged from 2 to 3 1/2 inches. Ugly! I'll go tomorrow to shoot the final 6 groups to see if it will tighten up. I sure hope so because I was really hoping to get the 130 TSX load tuned for an upcoming trip.

Posts: 468 | Location: Tejas | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted Hide Post
Slatts,
Back the bullets off more. The tsx needs a lot of room. Try .07

one of us
posted Hide Post
I ended up with 1/2" groups out of a 270 with the 130 TSX with 54.0 gr H4350. CCI BR2 primers and Rem brass.
Good Luck

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan
posted Hide Post
Slatts,
I got good results using Audette's LD. I backed the 'boolits' off 0.063". Further info: https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2511043/m/571104925
Nice day,
Jan.

Posts: 113 | Location: Terschelling, the Netherlands | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
W-W brass

Fed 210 GM primers

130 TSX with Rel 19 powder (I have forgotten exact charge but seem to recall it being 57 grains- will check and post this later), bullet seated .070 from lands, usually will group under .5 inch, any nearer and accuracy falls off significantly in my rifle

Posts: 342 | Location: York / U.K | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted Hide Post
Well, things have improved. Why is it that the groups always tighten up as the charges approach max? Is it just me?

I shot a 1.1 inch 5-shot group with 56 grains 4350. The next group with 56.5 grains printed a 5-shot group of about 1 inch with the first 3 rounds in 1/2 inch.

So, I'm just going to load up 50 rounds at 56.2 grains and call it good for this season. I'll play with the seating depth next year to see how much I can tighten it up if at all.

Posts: 468 | Location: Tejas | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey slatts

I found with the 270 that the faster you shoot the TSX's the smaller your group will get. I did some good shooting with the 130 gr TSX and 57 gr IMR4350 for about 3060 fps.

However, I could not seat the 130's as close to the lands as the 140's, so I switched. The 140's shot well approaching 3200 fps, which was way too hot! It's a real PITA to fireform new brass and start over after the primer pockets loosened so I did back down on those, but the groups were not as tight.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
http://www.realguns.com/loads/270wsm.htm

Jeff
North Pole, Alaska

Red Team 98

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hed better results the harder I push the Barnes bullets. I think they need a bit harder push to get them to really slug up to the bore. LLB

Posts: 93 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also have found that the TSXs shoot tighter groups with hotter loads. Not the norm for sure but it works.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote