Find
Notify
Tools

what to do with norma brass
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted
I spent a lot of money buying 40 pieces of new Norma brass in 22-250, there is no way to size the stuff with enough neck tension using a RCBS FL die or a Lee collet neck sizer, the only way to get the right neck tension with this norma brass is to use the redding bushing setup, which see another thread has lead to issues of its own. I am not happy about this being the case as I have brass that I can't use, I size it up in my RCBS FL die, I go to measure the bullet with my comparator and the bullet just pushes into the case. My question is this grounds for asking for a refund on the brass??

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey c c

What bullet are you using?

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
it doesn't matter which bullet I use, berger, hornady SP, vmaxes, speer SP, all just fall down into the case with the slightest pressue, I didn't know there was a problem at first, then while shooting, a round wasn't quite strait going into the barrel and the bullet pushed all the way down inside the case, thank goodness I didn't try to fire the gun. then everytime I check seating dept with my comparator they just push in at that time too

one of us
Picture of papaschmud
posted Hide Post
I do believe you could make it work by reducing your RCBS dies expander ball .002". On the other hand, you shouldn't have to go to that extreme. Did you buy the brass new or if it was used could it have been neck turned?

Either way, I'd wipe my hands of it, Norma brass has been very disappointing for me.

Gabe

Pa to three sons
Sambone 5
Catcher 3
Heebies 1
Husband to one wife
the Cluck

Posts: 410 | Location: Granite City, WI | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most likely case is that the necks are to soft (over annealed).
Run a deprimed case through your RCBS die, with the expander removed, and see how your neck tension is than.

Don't ask me how I know about over annealed necks, but 2-3 cycles of size/no expand and fire will work the brass enough to eliminate the problem .

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nothing to it - just rebarrel the rifle to 6mm/250 AI and the the brass will work Big Grin Wink dancing rotflmo

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cummins cowboy:
I spent a lot of money buying 40 pieces of new Norma brass in 22-250, there is no way to size the stuff with enough neck tension using a RCBS FL die ...
Hey CC, Have you tried removing the Expander and then Resizing them?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i will try removeing the expander and seeing how that works, I don't wanna do anything to modify my die, because then it would not work with my regular brass. I used my cheap old standard RCBS FL die and a comp seater to make some very good loads last night, none of my loads where over .00225 runout, most where under .0015. I think giveing the cases a healthy chamfer has helped with seating the flat base bullets better

I don't feel like I should have to do any extra work or hassle to use this high dollar brass

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My two experiences --22-250 & .222 -- were not pleasant.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey CC, If removing the Expander tightens the Necks enough to hold the Bullets(which it should), you can buy a new Expander Ball and reduce the Diameter slightly for use with this Lot of Cases.

Any good Gun Shop should have them, or modify the one you have and get a New Expander directly from RCBS. If you call RCBS and tell them why you need a new one, chances are it will be in the mail to you the same day - at no cost.

Best of luck with those Cases.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by papaschmud:
I do believe you could make it work by reducing your RCBS dies expander ball .002". On the other hand, you shouldn't have to go to that extreme. Did you buy the brass new or if it was used could it have been neck turned?

Either way, I'd wipe my hands of it, Norma brass has been very disappointing for me.

I agree. Take the expander button out of the FL die completely to see if the cases will hold bullets when they are NOT expanded at all after sizing them down. If you can seat a bullet, the case grips it firmly, and the case neck is not collapsed, you are in business......

Of course, you may need to get a universal deapping die to decap them after you remove the expander rod. But I suppose you can just take the expander button off the decapping rod and use it that way.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess a bunch of money is a relative term but I cannot visulize a bunch of money in 40 pieces of brass! Are you sure you are not using a decapping dieto start with? I like Norma brass and have never had a problem with it. Either the bullets are too small or the case mouth too large, basic measuring is in order. I would recommend checking everything that you are doing very carefully as you are more likely the problem than the brass

At Home on the Range-Texas Panhandle

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never cared much for Norma brass either, but I doubt that's the problem. I've had the same problem with just about every centerfire rifle caliber I've had dies for at one time or another.

Remove expander ball; discard; decap by hand. Problem solved.
-------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doccash:
I guess a bunch of money is a relative term but I cannot visulize a bunch of money in 40 pieces of brass! Are you sure you are not using a decapping dieto start with? I like Norma brass and have never had a problem with it. Either the bullets are too small or the case mouth too large, basic measuring is in order. I would recommend checking everything that you are doing very carefully as you {OR YOUR DIES} are more likely the problem than the brass

With my small tweak to DocCash's post, it seems a well considered, reasonable post.

I would therefore agree!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the resizing ball is too big why not try a country boy fix before going to a whole lot of trouble. Usually the difference between a firm grip on the bullet and a sloppy one is measured in .000"s. Why not take the resizing ball with the spindel still attached out of the die, chuck the spindel in a drill motor and stone a couple of thousands off the ball. Finish with a go of #0000 steel wool and you're fixed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a great fix that I have used also. I just don't use an expander in my bushing dies though. You know the only time you really need and expander is in a die that undersizes the neck by .010 or more from the loaded diameter.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doccash:
I guess a bunch of money is a relative term but I cannot visulize a bunch of money in 40 pieces of brass! Are you sure you are not using a decapping dieto start with? I like Norma brass and have never had a problem with it. Either the bullets are too small or the case mouth too large, basic measuring is in order. I would recommend checking everything that you are doing very carefully as you are more likely the problem than the brass

Ditto.

Methinks it's the Injun not the arrow.......

I use RWS, Lapua & Norma in the corresponding calibers which they make and Winchester in those they don't. Frankly they are ALL worth the extra $.

I decap on a separate Redding press, using an RCBS universal decap die. The only dies I use that still have the expander are for my .44 magnum and .416 Rigby- that's it.

I necksize only (with the exception of the 44 & 416) using a Forster CoAx and Redding S type dies with .001in tension (and .007 in only my 340 Wby). All the decap/expanders have been removed from those dies.

P.S. Redding also makes a "floating" carbide expander ball (same principle as the floating bushing), if you insist on having one.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1432 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought about 100 rounds for my 300 Win and I loaded it up the same as I always did and shot it then I resized it and went to seat the primer
and it wouldn't seat to loose. This was not a Hot load I shot. So what can I do but throw it out and never buy anymore.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ughhhh.....Boys, if the primer seated fine the first time,was fired and then the case would not hold a primer, a careful look at data and components is in order. The load is just too damn hot! The rant could go on and on.

At Home on the Range-Texas Panhandle

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or the brass could be too soft. That was my problem when I tried Norma. I didn't have loose primers but the brass would not tolerate a proven load and when I reduced it, they still did not give me the life span I would expect.
Buy it. If you like it, stay with it. Myself? I'll go elsewhere.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cummins cowboy:
i will try removeing the expander and seeing how that works, ...
Hey CC, Did the Case hold the Bullet?