New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old Rem 9.5 Primers.... still good?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I found some old primers that have to be at least 27 years old... I suspect older (more like 35-40).

seeing as how LR primers are impossible to find anymore, are these worth a try? I found about 100 of them...

Posts: 322 | Location: Lincoln, Nebraska | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely! With proper storage shelf life of primers is almost indefinite (or at least longer than most shooters get a chance to use them....). Have at it!

- mike

P.S. I should add, make sure the words "non corrosive" appear on the packaging, but other than that, I can't think of any reason not to try them out. As always when changing primers, work up towards max...

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a few boxes (white background with red/green print) of the Remington 9 1/2s which must be about the same age. They do fine whenever I choose them for load.

BTW, fads go in cycles. In the 1960's the Remington 9 1/2 was THE primer for benchrest shooters. I'm not sure that it is not still among the most consistent, although likely a bit milder than most.

Posts: 13247 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I'm still using various makes/lot #s of primers which are over 75 years old. They are still working well.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
75 years old

That is impressive. At least to me, it is...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
I'm still using various makes/lot #s of primers which are over 75 years old. They are still working well.

how's that for a guy who stocked up...

that was really foreseeing the old Obama Scare Coming!

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire2:
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:

how's that for a guy who stocked up...

that was really foreseeing the old Obama Scare Coming!

Hi, Seafire...

Actually, I bought part of this particular batch about 15 years ago from Diamond Dan when he still had his first store on SE Stephens here in old "Rosebud".

He had just bought them at an estate sale of a 95+ year-old shooter, where he got them tossed in with other stuff for nothing. I paid him $3.00 per thousand for about 30 or 40 thousand of them. He didn't want to putz with them at all. I recognized them from my youth and thought they might still all be okay.

Then I tested a couple of hundred of them in my various rifles and found they seemed to work as well as brand new production. No mis-fires, good accuracy, no perforations.

So, after that I took them to the gun club's Spring gun show at the fair grounds and sold about 15,000 of them for exactly what I paid Dan for them. About 10 different shooters bought them and I never got any complaints from the buyers afterward about their performance.

I am still using the remainder, but of course only for casual-use loads. Wouldn't risk them in a match or on a "tough-draw" hunt. No need to...have about 50,000 or more other primers of almost new stock on hand too.

That's why I buy that old stuff...am always looking to upgrade my first-hand knowledge about what works or doesn't, shelf life, ballistics, etc.....plus, when they are that cheap a guy can always afford to keep them just in case; they don't eat.

Hang tuff down there in old GP; deer season is just a month away.

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear from you there A/C....

How's that V 8 in a Porsche project coming? ever get her done?

took in the car show in Roseburg in July..lot of nice rigs

deer season is no big deal to me anymore...

would rather varmint hunt...

besides now I got an easy place to get a deer every year right around the corner from my house...

bet the last two bucks I shot were less than a 1000 yds from my front door..175lb and 210 lb blacktails..

these are well fed suburban deer.... being fed by all of these Calif retirees who think it is cute to feed the deer Costco Muffins....

close into town that they have no Cougar harassment...

good luck on your deer and elk season...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafire -

Have had the Porsche project done for a year or two now...sorta done, that is. Put in a stronger tranny from a Porsche Turbo, but it still wasn't strong enough. Need to find something even stronger. It lasted about a year. Put the coal to that sucker and it will chirp rubber in the first 5 gears, but it's Hell on transmissions.

Is still kinda nice to have 500 or so nags pulling a 2,900 pound car (including fuel, oil, and driver)...with air conditioning yet! Could have made the engine a lot stronger, but then it would be totally unuseable as a road car. Tried to balance it out by putting as much time/money into the suspension, rubber, and other stuff as I put into the semi-race profile all-aluminum Pontiac V-8 it is running right now.

It's okay...I really don't drive it any more anyway. Had so many health problems the last 18 months I pretty much only drive my easy-to-see-out-of, easy to get in and out of, old' 79 Toy 4x4 which I bought new in '79. (Just like a Timex....just keeps on tickin'.)

But thanks for reminding me about the Porsche. Have to go out and fire it up again for its weekly half-hour to keep the battery charged and the liquids circulated.

Oh, and I don't deer hunt any more either. Have so many deer within 10 feet of the house most days (and wild turkeys on my roof 'most every morning) that it is hard for me to get fired up for killing things like God's livestock anymore.

I have one of those permanent free Oregon service-connected disabled-Vet's hunting licenses, but I haven't even bought tags the last two years....'course they haven't started giving tags for politicians yet....but who would want to hunt in Salem or D.C. anyway?

Take care of yourself bud...

AC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
AC,
A friend that lives in Yamhill use a Colatti trannie on the one he did. Don't know if you know the Yamhill area, but Terry does a lot of odd fabrication. He has one of the nicest machine shop, welding, and fabrication shop at his home. 2500 sq. ft. He retired about 15 yrs ago and plays.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch I am very unfamiliar with the Yamhill area...not even sure for certain where it is, though NW Oregon near the coast seems to ring a bell. Don't know why that is, as I've lived in Oregon three different times in my life for a total of 27 years. Will have to look him up. Thanks very much for the info.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
AC ; Never fails !. http://pbseng.com/mendeola.html
; Don't know what kind of set up your running but a " BUNCH " of shall we say Ex racers
may have exactly what you want " Reasonable " with the economy on the fritz !.

I look at a friends NHRA Dragster publication from time to time . Pretty amazing what some stuff cost and what it's sold for Inexpensively !.

http://www.wrightgearbox.com/

Similar too this one although his is Dark charcoal gray 875 Hp pump gas mountain motor , full cage

roll set up NHRA strip & street legal . Wheel wells set forward 10.5" with M/T 22" or 24" wide tires .

looks funny because only about 18" of the differential shows . It will set you back in the seat !!!.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08pETzzFOCo

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
are these worth a try?

Certinly. Why would you not?

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Doc - Will take a look at those tomorrow when I have some time.

Y'know, it's a bit amazing what some engines can put out these days. When I was young and my friends and I used to build GMC 671-blown Chrysler hemi dragsters, we thought we were getting HP. But today, properly set up, a totally re-worked V-8 can put out up to 1,500 HP for very short periods of time...VERY short periods. Of course, we are NOT talking HP at the rear wheels.

I have to stay down around 500 HP or less as I use the car as a long-range tourer, sometimes in very wet or worse weather. You want something not only with good-enough power, but with the ability to drive several thousand miles at a stretch without needing ANY work. You also want something that won't break loose if you twitch the pedal a bit too hard when you are tired and come across something that you handle mainly with reflex action. For long range touring, handling is at least as important as HP, in my view.

Anyway, thanks again.

AC