New
Find
Notify
Tools

problems with my semi rem 742 30-06
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I loaded up some nosler partitions to the same length as the remington core lokts that i have always shot. The partitions shoot well but when cycling another shell they sometimes jam up. I can fire 1 or 2 then CLICK. Sometimes my action isnt fully closed and sometimes my hammer isnt cocked. I have noticed that the tip of the lead is catching on something but the remington at the same lenght is fine. Anyone have any ideas as to why they are screwing up ? thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
First thing you have a Jam Master 2000! Sorry I couldn't help that! Are you using small based dies? If not this could be part of the problem. The gas system in this gun seems to be pretty finicky and you don't want to load to the max. Lots of things can cause them to do just what its doing.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could see that maybe the pressure is up a bit and the gas system not working properly. The part im not sure about is why the lead is getting scraped up while loading from the clip. They are loaded to the same oal as the shells i have shot for years with no problems.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could be the profile of the bullet causing the cartridge to go straight ahead instead of up as its being stripped from the mag. If its catching on the mag you might take a file and bevel the front edge of the mag where the tips are hitting. The Remington pointed core lokts don't have a lot of lead showing which would make them slide better over the lip.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok thanks I will check out my mag tonight to see if they are hitting. When I loaded them and tried them through the chrony ect. I was only loading them 1 at a time and not using the mag (I know im an idiot). Now that moose hunting is 4 days away I figured I better make sure they cycle lol

one of us
posted Hide Post
Check the rails in side the reciver all the 742s I looked at have the rails chipped or cracked.

I think they were made to last about 200 rounds

Posts: 19569 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I read your post correctly, you are loading 150gr Nosler Partitions in a Remington 742. Which is not cycling correctly.

Factory loads shoot with no problems.

First, as previously stated you need to be using Small Base dies.

Second, use M1 Garand loads. 49grs of 4895 will work for this rifle.

Third, keep the chamber very clean and dry.

The gas system on the 742 does not like large charges of slow burning powder. I would use 4895-4064-4320 powders targeting around 2800 fps with a 150 gr bullet.

I have reloaded for many years for these rifles, since 1972. Keep the 3 rules listed and your reloading will be smooth with the Woodmaster, ignore them and the evil twin the Woodjammer will show up.

Posts: 83 | Location: Saudi/Bahrain/Texas | Registered: 21 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried my spare clip and the gun now works fine. They were catching the front of my other clip. I am shooting 55 gr w760 and 165 gr nosler partitions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you open up the lips on that other mag It'll probably work . That load you are using works fine in my cousins 742 . I've been loading them for him for years .

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !

Posts: 104 | Location: Bristol , VT | Registered: 12 October 2011Reply With Quote