New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is this?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This came out of a Federal 270 case that had been previously loaded and fired. It is to large to have been put in after the neck of the case was formed. Is it from a form die of some type that was used in the manufacturing of the brass?

Thank you, Tony

Posts: 51 | Location: North East Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mice

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
mice

I do not understand????

Thank you, Tony

Posts: 51 | Location: North East Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Is it made of brass as it appears to be? If so, I suspect it is the partially-formed blank from which a case is drawn.

Posts: 8 | Location: Henly, Tx | Registered: 01 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like it might be a resizer ball that came off???? Maybe??

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StonecreekII:
Is it made of brass as it appears to be? If so, I suspect it is the partially-formed blank from which a case is drawn.

Yup. Sure would like to know it got in there.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is not a expander ball.

I think it is brass.

A partially-formed case blank? Looks like it could be.

Maybe it laid on top of the case as it was being formed, than the case was formed around it? I dont know the manufacturing process for brass cartridge cases.

What is really interesting to me. The case that it was inside of had been reloaded and fired with this inside. I noticed it when I was charging the case.

Good luck, Tony

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm having quite a bit of trouble getting my mind around the idea of that piece of whatever it is was laying on the bottom of a loaded round that came from the factory, was fired, and then resized and deprimed and primed and charged and fired again.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
I'm having quite a bit of trouble getting my mind around the idea of that piece of whatever it is was laying on the bottom of a loaded round that came from the factory, was fired, and then resized and deprimed and primed and charged and fired again.

The brass was not factory loaded. Going by the load data that was written by the person who originally loaded the ammo, it was loaded in 1985.

I resized/deprimed the case, than it was trimmed/deburred, than cleaned in a tumbler. I did not notice anything until I put the powder charge in.

The object was loose enough to move up and down in the case. I think if the object was sitting at the bottom of the case when the case was charged there might not be much of a difference in the powder height. I noticed it because the object had moved up toward the neck of the case and became wedged inside the case, this made the powder charge overflow.

Good luck, Tony

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would the object fit into the cartridge through the neck? Wonder if it's something that had fallen into your tumbler and, chance of a lifetime, lined up and was vibrated into the case???

Aim for the exit hole

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
Would the object fit into the cartridge through the neck? Wonder if it's something that had fallen into your tumbler and, chance of a lifetime, lined up and was vibrated into the case???

NOPE, not any chance of that.

I think StonecreekII might be right.

Good luck Tony

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Just so I understand correctly, the original case this was in was a 270 reload? It looks like the diameter of this is greater than that? Which means that it HAD to get there during the manufacturing process? If this is actually .277 or whatever, I would suspect it was some sort of gas check that fell off a bullet, as back then there was a bit of experimenting around with home made checks and such, and that seems possible to me, but if it is too large for that then yeah, it was a stray brass slug that got loose during manufacturing.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote