New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler Partition vs. Partition Gold?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is there that much (any?) difference between a regular partition and a "partition gold"?

If so, what?

Posts: 125 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 11 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you go to www.noslerreloading.com and sign up on their forum, you can get the answer directly from them. I suspect there are no structural differences.

Paul

Posts: 105 | Location: Gulfport MS | Registered: 04 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The partition has been moved forward and the forward jacket has been "thickened" on the Gold.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post

There is a lot of difference between the two bullets beyond construction. Terminal performance between the two bullets is noticeable. Typically with the Partition, you will lose most of the jacket and core in front of the partition. With the Gold, you generally see more jacket and core material due to the heavier jacket in front of the partition.

Due to the steel cup, I have never seen any deformation of the shank of the bullet so retained weight and energy is higher. As a result, penetration is better with the Gold. One thing to note, the Gold is a longer bullet due to less lead and more jacket. This may be a consideration with some limited case capacity cartridges.

I have not found any accuracy difference between the two bullets, however, there is generally a slight velocity difference with the Gold due to a longer bearing surface. If you are loading for a RUM or a high velocity hunting cartridge, I highly recommend the Golds. With higher impact velocities, the Golds shine over the Partition. Also, I would avoid the moly coated version...

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
The only difference between the two that really counts is the way they shoot in your own rifle. Some rifles do shoot the Partition Gold better than the regular Partition, and vice versa. If that's the case for you, then adopt the more accurate of the two and don't look back.

Structurally, the difference is as Chuck stated. In the real world, I don't think it makes much practical difference either way. I've used the original-style Partition extensive for many years, and in every case the results have been superb on everything from tiny African antelope to 2,000 lb. animals, and so consistent that I simply can't see how terminal performance could be improved upon in any meaningful way.

But I guess at least in theory everything can be improved upon!

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies, gentlemen!

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
You'll find the NPG to be a bit tougher than a NP of the same weight. I would use the NPG in any of the high vel. rounds where shooting distances will be closer. I would also NOT use the NPG in std. vel. rounds, the bullets just don't expand quickly enough.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fred,
What about the PG in a standard .338 Win Mag but used for brown bear?

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried the .338s yet but if they are along the same lines as the 7mm, I would think an excellant choice (non moly for me).

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a heads up I talked to Nosler Tech on Thurs. Oct. 28 about the differences between the partition and partition gold. And the long and short of it is Nosler is not making the partition gold as of now. So if you have a load you like for the gold grab them while there on the shelf because when there gone there gone. Just thought I would let you all know. They ARE still making the regular partition though nothing has changed there. Allen

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot depends on the caliber, and no one is taking that into consideration...For example the 400 gr. .416 Nosler is the toughest bullet in the Nosler line I assure you, but it is not a partition gold, its just a well designed bullet...

I have not seen a lot of difference in terminal performance on game, most of what I see is mostly theroretical IMO...probably the Gold has more base left and that drives the bullet deeper (better penetration" but I have never noticed the standard Nosler lacking in penetration...Both of them will blow the nose off from time to time, but so what that still leaves a mushroomed bullet that looks surpriseingly like a Barnes X for instance....

At any rate I like one as well as the other.

Posts: 41980 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote