New
Find
Notify
Tools

fur friendly 22 hornet bullet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
first off id like to thank everyone involved with this site its great. ive learned a whole lot reading here and love the place.
my question is what would you use for a bullet in a 22 hornet that wouldnt do to much harm to say a fox pelt?

Posts: 167 | Location: northeast NY | Registered: 04 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
A solid if you could find one.
Other then that ?????????

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Velocity is as important as the bullet

the slower the better

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys i did get some Barnes Banded Solid Bullets, and i will go low on the powder charge and see how it worksout, thanks guys!

Posts: 167 | Location: northeast NY | Registered: 04 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
thanks guys i did get some Barnes Banded Solid Bullets, and i will go low on the powder charge and see how it worksout, thanks guys!

These may not stabilize. Barnes says they need a 1:12" twist, which most Hornets don't have.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most shoulder shot woodchucks with 35grain Hornady's show no exit holes. Don't know what they look on the inside though.

Posts: 1292 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I realize you are trying to save a pelt but that was the hole reason why I own a Hornet. I like the fact that there is little clean up at the site of the kill.
Now for larger animals I'm building a 220 swift that will vaporize a jackrabbit.
And a buddy of mine has a Rem M30 with a straight blank barrel in 30-378 1-14 twist. He set it up to shot 115 or 125 grain bullets doing just over 4000 FPS
He has a picture of this thing vaporizing a five gallon bucket of water with the lid in the air about twenty feet and zero water on the ground just a light mist. like a 22-250 or 220 swift scaled up.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HP- or SP-bullets can be placed in reverse order? clap coffee clap

Posts: 171 | Location: Finland | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fishguts..
I have no experience with the Hornet on foxes.. I have shot two using my coyote fur load in a 22-250 and they made a mess of the fox..
I would suggest a "very light explosive" bullet as J_Zola suggested.. I knew a fella who tried FMJ's on coyotes and he lost a few so I would be leery of them..
What ever bullet you use please report back as to their effectiveness..

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
I have been using 55gr Hornady Spire Points in my hornet with a 1 in 16 twist on feral goat. It produces a bullet size hole going in and likewise going out but does massive damage on the inside. Not sure how that would relate to fox - they'd be smaller but then your velocity would be lower than mine (I use a loading technique that takes my loads way up). My 'normal' loading using a 50gr Sierra Blitz did not exit goat and only made a small entry hole - bullet size (these loads were slower than my 55gr loads).

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for all the imput guys. i will let ya know how i makeout. are you guys serious about loading a bullet backwards? ive got some soft points im thinking of trying if so?