Find
Notify
Tools

Mitutoyo vernier caliper issue
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted
I was at the loading bench yesterday, measuring some cases.. when i was finished, I zipped it closed I think a little too fast, and now it is .017 off of zero. I think it skipped a few teeth..

I tried everything, took this sucker apart (you gotta be almost a watchmaker) and tried to get it reset back to zero. No luck. finally, I unlocked the dial and rotated it to zero.

This caliper is over 20 years old, but has seen very light service and i checked Mitutoyo's website, and there is only info there on how to reset the newer digital ones, but nothing about the older dial calipers.

Fortunately I have a spare as i no longer trust this one.. anyone have any other suggestions?

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1974 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
killpc Frank,is it a dial? What I do with the starretts is take the pointer off carefully it pries off pretty easy. Make sure the teeth are clean set the jaws to zero and put the dial back on pointer to zero.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Part of your problem is your caliper is a dial caliper not a vernier caliper. Vernier calipers do not have a dial, rack or pinion. Your caliper has skipped one or more teeth. You insert a tool in a recess in the top of the caliper behind the dial to reset the thing. There is information on the web. Try searching on dial caliper not vernier caliper.

Suwannee Tim

Posts: 140 | Location: Way down upon the Suwannee River. | Registered: 02 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IIRC a tooth skip in a Mitutoyo dial is .050.
Check the tooth spacing, it is the same as a skipped tooth.
As the result of a drop, mine skip once in a while. Easy to spot when the expected reading is off by 1 tooth (.050).

You already figured out the reset procedure, rotate the dial.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a similar problem caused by a small piece of walnut media. You might have some debris in the teeth causing the problem. A can of compressed air might dislodge the problem.

I can't see moving the jaw fast would make it skip a tooth.

And because of chronologically gifted eyesight I went digital with "BIG" numbers. It has a on-off button and a "zero" button for those slippery moves. Wink

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
The tool has skipped some teeth on the rack and is otherwise fine.

To fix this you need to use a tooth skip shim.

Most quality name brand calipers come with one of these within the plastic case.

If yours didn't come with one or you don't have one, they are easy to make from the bottom of a beer can.

Look to YouTube on how to return to zero by skipping teeth

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So that's the little piece of brass in my Mitutoyo dial caliper's plastic case. That instrument has not skipped a beat since I got it in 1983. I have replaced the battery in my digimatic four times since 1988. They are both good pieces of kit. Same same for my micrometers. My most useful tool is the neck thickness micrometer I bought decades ago from Sinclair. I glued on a piece of leather so I can measure about halfway up the neck for most calibers.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a cloth and wipe the face of the jaws. Sometimes a little bit of grit will change the "0" reading.

Posts: 291 | Location: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: 03 August 2005Reply With Quote