New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes Moly Coated Load Data & Performance
 Login/Join

<Mike Dettorre>
posted
I picked up a copy of the Barnes load data and see that they claim to be getting 2900 fps with 165 grn molly coated bullet from a 308 Win.

Anybody have any real experience with there rifles and actual velocities for these bullets

[ 02-10-2003, 04:07: Message edited by: Mike Dettorre ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience with Barnes XLC data in the .223 is that their published muzzle velocities are ridiculously overoptimistic.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
No have not got close to these vel in the 308/165, Barnes is coming out with a Extra Shock Bullet of new design suppose to be better than the XLC and it's not coated either. I have always been kind of shy from Branes X bullets, I always have leaned toward 165 grain Sierra or Nosler Boat Tails for my 308.

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted Hide Post
Mike, the XLC's are some sort of proprietary coating that is more than likely not moly. But no I have not been able nor tried too hard to achieve their published velocities. That being said they seem (for the calibers I have tried)closer to velocities I get for noncoated bullets. More so than some of the other more popular manuals. In my 300WSM I get good velocity and accuracy with about 2 grains under their max and most of the powders with the * beside them....except Ramshot Big Game..
Good Luck and be safe

Posts: 569 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nosler is notorious for using 26" test barrels for their data, when most hunting rifles have 22" to 24" barrels! If you look closely at the specs at the beginning of the data for each caliber they have the barrel length listed. So if don't have 26" barrel your not going to reach their velocities with same powder charge. [Smile]

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Barnes is very adept at being overly optimistic about their claims.

I have NEVER been able to obtain the velocities they claim, and I don't follow the SAAMI "guidlines" either...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote