New
Find
Notify
Tools

.44 loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I shoot SWC for target loads. I want to practice with full loads in my Redhawk .44 magnum, but all bullets I see, ie. Sierras brass bullets, cost around $20 per 100. Is there a type bullet and source you recommend that will handle full .44 loads and cost less?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out the Midway blemished bullet sale.....see thread below in this forum or you could consider casting your own.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have hd good luck with plated bullets, (i.e. berrys or the like) they cost much less than jacketed, but don't lead up a barrel like cast

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can get 240 gr. JSP from Montana Gold Bullets for $16.44/100 or less. Shipping is included in the price and their quantities start at 900 @ $148.00 or you can order a full case of 1950 for $282.00.

I have not used the .44 bullets but I HAVE used the 9mm, .40, and .45 ACP bullets. Those, at least, are not hunting bullets, but deliver fine accuracy out of my pistols. The jackets tend to separate from the cores. Whether that is true for the .44's or not, I don't know, so if you wanted to use them for hunting, I would test them first. The other thing is that they are sized to .429 and you would want to be sure that your Redhawk "likes" .429 bullets.

They also have JHP's but are currently out of stock on those.

Jon Larsson - Hunter - Shooter - Reloader - Mostly in that order...Wink

Posts: 682 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
seeing as how plated bullets are limited to 1000 or so before copper plating your bbl. and a plain based cast boolit can be pushed to 1600 easily without leading except for a small anount of antimonal grey wash.
i would think that maybe, for cheap and effective all around use like hunting,target shooting,and plinking.
that you should learn how to cast your own properly fit booits.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Cast bullet work great, but if you want to shoot jacketed, go for the bulk packed Rem. or WW 240grJHP @ Midway, Graf's, Natches, etc.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are cast bullets different than SWC, ie stronger or less friable? Will they withstand magnum loads in the .44?
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
seeing as how plated bullets are limited to 1000 or so before copper plating your bbl. and a plain based cast boolit can be pushed to 1600 easily without leading except for a small anount of antimonal grey wash.
i would think that maybe, for cheap and effective all around use like hunting,target shooting,and plinking.
that you should learn how to cast your own properly fit booits.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Spender:
Are cast bullets different than SWC, ie stronger or less friable? Will they withstand magnum loads in the .44?

Cast bullets are cast from a mold. They could be round, full wadcutter, semi-wadcutter, or round nosed. SWC bullets are a type distinguishable by shape, not composition.

Regarding bullet strength, that depends on what is added to the molten lead mixture.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Without a doubt! I have cast my own for over 20 years, and I use jacketed data for my handloads. For instance, one of my favorite loads for my Model 57 Smiths is 21 grains of IMR-4227 behind a Keith 220-grain bullet, namely the Lyman 410459... Size them right and the leading is virtually non-existant, and they shoot through anything you will hit with them.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote