Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone use a Hornady Cam Lock trimmer ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BoCash3
posted
Just opened a brand new Hornady Cam Lock trimmer to replace my cheaper Lyman.

I am baffled !

The brochure says use Hornady shell holders with the trimmer and I am trying to use an RCBS. Are shell holders not standard?

The Spindle that holds the shell holder and cam lock goes through the frame.

The Cam Lock screws on to the Spindle.

When the Cam Lock is screwed on to the Spindle, there is NO WAY a shell holder can be inserted.

The narrow end of the Spindle sticks through the Cam Lock too far for a shell holder to be inserted. If the Cam Lock is backed out, it comes off the threads of the spindle before a shell holder can be set inside the opening and tightened.

What am I doing wrong?

On my knees for help.

Thanks, Bo Cash, Western NC

Thank goodness my grandfather put me in the woods as a child !

www.TableRockAngler.com

Posts: 113 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 20 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You do need to use Hornady shellholders, since the hole is larger. Unscrew the Cam Lock, insert the shellholder, and then screw the CamLock on the spindle. With the RCBS shellholder, the hole is probably too small for the spindle.

Let me know if this makes sense.

Washougal Chris

Posts: 116 | Location: Washougal, WA | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And then ... my Hornady works perfectly with RCBS shellholders, but not Lee. Major PITA!
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a chance to use my friend's Hornady cam-lock trimmer, and was able to use my RCBS shellholders. So I put it on my Christmas list and got the new model with the 'Micrometer Adjustment'. Surprise! The RCBS shellholders no longer fit - Hornady had made the spindle just a bit bigger on the new model. So now I'm slowly in the process of acquiring duplicate shellholders for all the different cartridges I reload for.

Washougal Chris

Posts: 116 | Location: Washougal, WA | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BoCash3
posted Hide Post
Washougal C. and others:

Many thanks for the help. What you said makes sense with the Hornady shell holders on that trimmer. Still, in just looking at the spindle, the cam locking housing for the shell holder.............. it seems that the two parts cannot possibly screw together and hold while accepting a shell holder. I guess the Hornady shell holders allow the narrow end of the spindle to go up in them pretty far.

Anyhow, I was going to "Ebay" my one year old Lyman trimmer and now having second thoughts.

I bought the Hornady trimmer through a wholesale dealer catalog and would lose money sending it back................. but is it worth buying shell holders for some 12 calibers or more in order to use this trimmer? IN this price range, is it that good?

Would I be better off selling the trimmer at a loss and getting another decent one that uses standard shell holders? In your opinion, should I keep this one and spend the money on the Hornady holders just for this trimmer?

The Lyman model I have is a lower end model and I want something in the $50 to $75 range that is a little heavier duty and easier to adjust.

I shoot a lot informally and have reloaded since 1969, but I don't need a trimmer badly enough to spend more than $75 on it.

What would you do? THANKS, Bo

www.TableRockAngler.com

Posts: 113 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 20 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First thing I would do is go through all of my shellholders to see if any of them fit. One of my old RCBS shellholders (8x57/.30-06/etc) had a larger hole and worked.

Next step would be to figure out which shellholder I use most (or maybe which batch of brass needs to be trimmed next) and buy a Hornady holder.

Then try the trimmer and see if you like it. If not, you're only out ~$5 or so, and can sell the shellholder with the trimmer.

Hope this helps,
Washougal Chris

One of Us
Picture of 454PB
posted Hide Post
I had to reduce the size of the spindle for my Son's Hornady trimmer. He had the same problem and wasn't willing to buy a dozen new shell holders. It took me about 10 minutes in my lathe. Maybe you know someone with a lathe?

You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Posts: 52 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BoCash3
posted Hide Post
THANKS once again Chris and 454. I once had a small lathe that I turned cork handles for fly rods on that would have worked with some patience.

Rather than spend another $ 50 to 70 on Hornady shell holders, further complicate my reloading storage space, or alter the Hornady trimmer, I decided to just sell it here in my shop. Someone will pick it up some day.

Meanwhile, I am looking at the Redding trimmer that has a universal shell holding system built in. In looking at the base of that one, I think I can "C" clamp it to the edge of my reloading bench when needed and put away when not. My bench is adequate for 7 loaders but I have no more free space.

Thanks again for replying. Bo

www.TableRockAngler.com