THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RockChucker Newbee, hand primer or press??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Which way do you guy's prefer to go the hand primer route or using the primer tool on the press? I have new brass the neck seems to tight so I guess I have to push the neck sizing ball all the way through the neck to size it right? After opening up the neck I will prime the brass but which system do you recommend? I hear most people like the hand primer because they have a better feel of the primer fit? Thanks for any thoughts!

Posts: 113 | Location: no fixed address | Registered: 09 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hate using press mounted primer gear, much happier with the Lee or RCBS or even Hornady hand priming tools. I've used the Lee tool for over 20 years and have two one set up for large and one for small and couldn't be happier. Makes it convienient to prime while doing important stuff, like watching TV or sitting with wife in room....not spending time at the bench in the basement.

regards,
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree strongly with graycg -- go the hand-primer tool route. After using the press for priming for many years, I finally got a Lee Auto-Prime tool. I'll never use the press for priming again!

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Size all new brass, then chamfer the case mouths. The hand primer tool does give a better feel, but you can also load very accurate hunting grade ammo using the press primer tool. If you go the "wham, bang thank you, ma'am" approach to reloading your ammo, no benchrest tool in the world is gonna yield accurate ammo. Take your time, develop a rhythm, and concentrate on the task at hand. That Rockchucker is a fine tool. Learn to use it correctly.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only lee tool that I own is the auto prime and I find it much better than the press for priming.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
You might also look at the Lee priming tool for single stage presses: http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/728999

It is inexpensive and gives much better "feel" than the regular press seating tool.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[Smile] Thanks guys I'll concentrate on the hand primer I got with my RockChucker.

Posts: 113 | Location: no fixed address | Registered: 09 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NorthSniper..I have pushed this tool for some time now, so please bear with me.
K&M Expander Iron will make you throw away your other expander balls.
It literally reshapes the case mouth, and reduces run out by a good margin.
Here it is at.. http://www.precisionreloading.com/2002catalog.htm
You might have to do a search for K&M products.
Tha chamfer tool is outstanding as well.

I also would at some point encourage you to get a run out gauge. Mine is a RCBS Case Master.
It's nice to be able to take your given ammo, and run it through the Case Master, and find out how accurate you are, BEFORE going to the range, and wasting all day, and still not knowing if your bullet was "square"..sakofan..Good Luck!!

Oh, get a Lee Auto Prime, its real nice and reliable.

[ 08-18-2003, 01:48: Message edited by: sakofan ]

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't get it [Confused] the expander ball is twice as difficult to pull back up through the neck as it is to push down and through? I have to give the press handle a bit of a thump to get the handle back up. You would think after the ball passes through on the way down it would come up and out easier? Also I adjusted the sizing die down until it touches the shell holder then backed off the press and gave the die 1/4 turn more and locked it. The sizing die after one full stroke leaves a slight ring around the shoulder of the case. I would have thought new brass would have been very near bang on in the shoulder.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NorthSniper:
I don't get it [Confused] the expander ball is twice as difficult to pull back up through the neck as it is to push down and through? I have to give the press handle a bit of a thump to get the handle back up. You would think after the ball passes through on the way down it would come up and out easier? Also I adjusted the sizing die down until it touches the shell holder then backed off the press and gave the die 1/4 turn more and locked it. The sizing die after one full stroke leaves a slight ring around the shoulder of the case. I would have thought new brass would have been very near bang on in the shoulder.

Are you lubing the case neck, prior to resizing??

If you want to stay w/ the expander ball, try pulling it out, resizing as usual, then come back, with a loose expander ball, and make it a 2 step operation.
By loose I mean, leave the expander stem a little loose when you decap. But not too loose, or you will break your decap pin.

What kind of dies are you using??..sakofan..

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sakofan, I'm using the RCB die's and using a little lube applied with the neck brush. I think you have a good suggestion for this brass anyway, pull the neck sizing ball and make a second pass on the press after sizing the case. Now that I think about it when the case gets resized the neck is likely being squeezed back in tighter while the neck sizing ball is inside the case. [Smile]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the RCBS hand primer and only prime my .585 on the press because my shell holder does not fit the hand tool. Definitely invest in a off press primer. I have loaded primed thousands of cases....all infront of the TV [Big Grin]

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote