Find
Notify
Tools

Help a new guy with scales
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted
I have read the posts concerning the powder scale combo. I'm sorry, but most of them are over my level of understanding at this point. I'm new and have yet to relaod the first cartridge. Believe it or not, I have been reading these posts for several months now. I have built a loading room in my basement. The lights are flourescent. Will that work?

I have an RCBS Rockchucker Master Reloading kit. It came with an "old style" scale. Is this accurate enough. Do I need a digital scale.

I hope to start reloading in January. So, I hope you guys don't mind a "Newbie" asking a lot of questions.

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fluorescent lights should be fine. It is important to have plenty of light. This becomes even more important over the age of 45, when your lenses start to harden up, and you can't see very well up close.

Most mechanical scales can read to within .1 grain, which is all you need. Literally tons of ammo was reloaded before digital scales were invented.

Digital scales generally read to .1 grain also. A lot of guys prefer them, but I have yet to find any good reason to switch from mechanical. Try loading for a while, and see how you feel about it.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All the gadgets that guys talk about here either 1. make handloading go faster, or 2. make more accurate ammo. Unless you're trying to set the new worlds benchrest record just use what came in the kit from RCBS until you get your feet wet, so to speak. I loaded ammo on a single-stage RCBS press(not even compound leverage) and beam scale for 20 years before switching to a digital scale and Dillon progressive presses( yes, one for pistol and one for rifle).
There's a lot to learn in this hobby. Don't try to absorb everything at once. Remember, safety above all else. Good luck.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
If your kit came with the 5-0-5 scale, it is just fine.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One other thing: Don't load up 500 of one load at first. Your tastes will change as time goes on. 25-50 is a good first test batch.

Remember, it's for enjoyment!

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mechanical scales are fine unless you are doing volume. I weigh cast boolits on digital, becaue it's faster, everything else on mechanical. Three things; accuracy, sensitivity, and repeatability. Keep a couple of check weights of known amount. Sensitivity can be checked by dropping a quarter inch square of bond paper in the pan while balanced. You should see the beam move. Then, each and every time you reweigh a check weight, it should come to rest in exactly the same place. If your scale passes all 3 tests, you should be okay. Be sure to keep your pan and balance points clean. sundog

Posts: 287 | Location: Koweta Mission, OK | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
I've had an RCBS 510 (similiar to a 505) for nearly 25 years and have loaded many rounds with it.
It's always been accurate and has held up very well. If you didn't get a set of check weights with your kit,you might want to invest in a set. They keep any scale honest. I don't have any experience with electronic scales,never had a need. Results seem to vary according to others that use them.
Stick to the data in the major reloading books until you gain experience.(Buy several)
Never use your neighbors uncles secret woodchuck load .
best of luck to you
Covey16

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an RCBS 5-0-2 mechanical scale that came with the reloading kit when I purchased my RCBS Turret Press. Early this year I bought an electronic scale when a local sporting good store (Turners) had a good sale. The electronic scale has a 30 and 50 gram weight so you can check on it's accuracey and calibrate it. I checked on the accuracey of the mechanical scale vs. the electronic scale by weighing powder drops on each one. They were with-in .1 grain of each other, which is very accurate.

I still use the mechanical scale when I'm only going to load 20 or less rounds. The electronic scale is faster once it is set-up and calibration is checked.

Posts: 257 | Location: Torrance, Ca | Registered: 02 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I started reloading using a cheap Lee Precision scale, the kind with the plastic beam. It worked fine for 12 years, I guess it was accurate enough as I never blew up any guns and seldom had excess pressure signs. So you ought to be just fine with the quality RCBS (?) mechanical scale. The only reason I just bought an RCBS Micro Pro digital is that after using a mech scale for a while I'd try the digi world and see how it works. Happy reloading!

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
I have two ancient Redding beam balance scales that are almost identical. One has a damping vane; one does not. Both have served me well since 1957. Since than ,being the kluts that I am, I've succeeded in destroying two load cell type scales. There may be something electronic and more durable available out there today but my heavy hand will not have the oportunity to find out.The hardy mechcanical scales will do for me till the end. Get a GOOD mechcanical scale to start.
Someone advised loading small quantities to start. Ten of each load is adequate until you find something that you like. Record all your load info for posterity. The extra 1/2 hr. it takes to load it in your computer will pay dividends many times over in your future reloading.Back up the info. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Born To Hunt,
You've done well.
The 505 that comes with the RCBS kit is fine.
Get a good set of calipers and a good set of loading blocks. I recommend the Stalwart wooden loading blocks that are sold by Sinclair Intl.
Did you get the "old" Master Reloading Kit w/ the case trimmer? You're lucky if you snagged one of those before the stock finally runs out. The "new" RCBS kit has less in it and costs a lot more.
If you bought the "old" kit you'll want a hand priming tool.

One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
Thanks to you all!!

Whiterook:
Yes, I have the older kit. I got the kit for x-mas three years ago!!! I didn't have any place to load so I waited until I could get a shop set up. I have tried to read these posts and follow along prior to getting started.

A hand priming tool will be purchased.

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
I use a RCBS mechnical scale and find, with the "old eyes", that putting the scale on something to make it eyelevel makes everything eaiser.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote