New
Find
Notify
Tools

44 Special plinking load.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a quantity of 240 JSP bullets that I would like to use in my 629 with 44 special cases. Can someone suggest a mild load just for plinking? Thanks, smoker1

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 868 | Location: NYS | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure why anyone likes to load 44sp in a 44mag but 6.5gr of Unique in 44sp cases should give you a nice 850fps load. There really is no reason to go lower w/ jacketed bullets. If they are semi jacketed, like the old Speer SWC, they can actually be dangerous to shoot at low vel. (jacket/core separation).

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fredj338, can I assume you have not tried this load?

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If Fred hasn't, a million other shooters have. Check a manual; it's legit.

Hogdon's Universal Clays will give similar results.

posted Hide Post
Hi Smoker, what kind of JSPs do you have ?

Posts: 13 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 11 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe they are Winchester's. Maybe they are hollow point, not sure, gotta check. We shoot an informal tactical. Paper and steel. Don't need much power, as the steel's go down with 9MM. Just a fun thing we do once a week. smoker1

--Thomas Jefferson

posted Hide Post
I have had good results with W-231 for my 3" .44spl with either WLP or Fed. 150 primers. For your application a clean burn would be desirable Unique at low pressure may not be ideal, I do think that a reduced .44 mag load would be the way to go, what powders do you have on hand ?

Posts: 13 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 11 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Bullseye and W231. Ran across a recipe in a old Hornady book yesterday that called for 4.0 to 5.0 Bullseye for 660 to ~700 FPS. I use BE in most of my pistol calibers with the largest being 45 ACp smallest 9MM with very good results. I wasn't sure if it would work in a larger case untill I saw the load yesterday.
What bullet weight are you using in your 44Sp.?
Thanks, smoker1

--Thomas Jefferson

posted Hide Post
I've been using 200gr Nosler JHPs w/6.2gr of w-231 and fed.150s or 6.0gr with WLP. The charge weights of the Hornady data maybe less do to the .430 dia bullets. Watch for fouling in the cylinder chambers when shooting the shorter specials.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Smoker1:
fredj338, can I assume you have not tried this load?

Yes smoker I have. Way back in the day before I wised up. I now load the magnum cases down instead of stocking two diff. kinds of cases & resetting my dies to load the 44sp. I also stopped loading 38sp for midrange loads in the 357mag, it's just easier to load all the same brass & change the powder charge. Never assume anything. Roll Eyes

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes smoker I have. Way back in the day before I wised up

I have never posted this kind of message before but here goes. fredj338, I believe you are a smart ass tryng to get my goat...guess you did it. I didn't ask for your opinion only if you had a load for 44 special. There I did it for the first time in too may years.

--Thomas Jefferson