Find
Notify
Tools

loading the BOB!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
looking for loads for the 257 Roberts.
Been having problems with my gun shooting all over the place. Guys have said that the BOB is a tricky round to find the "sweet" spot.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i give mine plenty of "run".. at least .065, due to some old timers recommendation, and it shoots pretty darn good. I use rl 22, win760, and 3031, for starters 100 gr bullet for fun
jeffe

Posts: 39624 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

Sorry you haven't found a sweet spot yet in your .257. I don't have that problem with mine. I've put nearly 4000 rounds through it since 1968. Most of those have NOT been full power rounds. I tend to shoot reduced loads for coyotes and p'dogs. It will shoot 75 gr. hollow points to the same point of impact as 87 and 117 grain bullets. The one thing that I have found to be beneficial is to load the bullets as close to the lands as possible. My best accuracy came with the bullet actually touching the lands. With three different bullets and two different powders, I've shot 3/8 " three shot groups.
Hope you can duplicate that!!!!
try 42 gr. IMR3031 with 75 gr. Sierra HP in Win. brass with CCI or Fed. match primers.

Coach

Posts: 114 | Location: near Abilene, Texas | Registered: 04 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Im still anxiously awaiting the return of my M98 from the smith getting a Bob bbl. You might try Steve Ricardelli's sight for some load refrences, other than that there unfortunatley doesnt appear to be a "most reccomended powder" for that particular cartridge like some others but Ive heard some good things about IMR 4350 in the AI version, I think thats where Ill start.

http://stevespages.com/page8a.htm

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I could never find a load that wouldn't do under 1 MOA in my .257. I've used 87 to 117gr bullets with IMR 4064, N202, and MRP.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Fat Albert>
posted
In my gun, 100gr Hornady SP with 47gr IMR4831 or 41gr of IMR 4064 about 2950fps for both in a 22".

one of us
posted Hide Post
For a modern action, try about 45 grains of IMR-4350 with a 117 grain Sierra Pro-Hunter or 115 Nosler Partition. Gives about 2950fps and three shots way under an inch.

My rifle is a Remington Classic with a 24 inch barrel.

FWIW, Joe.

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote