New
Find
Notify
Tools

308 Norma Mag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a 308 Norma Mag that was left to me by my father. I am looking at forming brass for it. What would be the best brass and size to use for this, since Norma brass is very hard to get a hold of?.

Thank you.

Posts: 26 | Location: West Hemlock, PA | Registered: 08 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The .308 Norma Magnum has a slightly strange history. It was a proprietary cartridge made in Sweden, but intended for Americans. Its essentially the .338 Winchester Magnum necked down to .308, or a wildcat .30/.338. Introduced in 1960, it was only available as unprimed brass for a year and a half before Norma finally got around to manufacturing the complete cartridge.
The "advertised" parent cartridge was the .300 H&H Magnum, but I think you'll find the .338 Winchester Magnum brass easier to form.
Regards
'puck

Posts: 235 | Location: Ladson, SC, USA | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1903 Springfield based sporter in 308 Norma Mag. Has been one of the most accurate guns I own year after year after year. Fine chambering.

I'd suspect that 300 Winmag would also be a place to start as well. Cases made from 338 Win Mag end up with a slightly short neck.

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

Contact sinclair international or any of the other importer of Norma brass. www.norma.cc

I guess the best way is to use 338 brass and neck down. Don't forget the thickness of the brass in the neck area!!
The Win has a shoter neck that can be hard to reform

Cheers
/JOHAN

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Grovere I find it quite an easy task to use 300 Win mag cases. Run them through the 308NM sizing die & trim to length. No tight necks to worry about. I used to use 338 WM cases but like JOHAN said you have to pay attention to the thick necks.

PS: Welcome to a great website.

[ 11-03-2002, 17:57: Message edited by: Bear Claw ]

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote