Find
Notify
Tools

Problem with seating bullets - Reddng Dies
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted
I just wanted to ask if anyone else has ever had problems seating 165 grain Hornady Spire point bullets to 2.75" oal (in a .308 Win) with a Redding die seating die. I could not get the bullet to seat deeper than about 2.775 with the adjustment bottomed out. The 165 grain bullet is the only one I've loaded with these new dies, and had to use my old Lyman Dies to get the bullet to seat deep enough.

I suspect this wont be as much of a problem with "fatter" bullets, as the 165 grain spire point is kind of skinney, straight ogive.

One way to fix this would be to remove some of the end of the seating portion of the die by grinding to allow the bullet to be seated deeper, but should this not have already been considered in the design of the die? It is not like the Redding dies are the cheapest ones on the market.

Maybe I am missing something. If so, please let me know.

cwilson

A well requlated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed - 2nd Amendment U.S. Constitution

Posts: 715 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
can you screw the die body farther into the press?

it's a fresh wind that ... Blows Against the Empire

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Call Redding, tell them. I'm sure they will have a solution for your problem. They have great customer support.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted Hide Post
ned:
I had the bottom of the die almost touching the shell holder. Can't screw it in any more.

muck:
I think I will call Redding and ask them. I would think this is not the first time for this problem.

cwilson

A well requlated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed - 2nd Amendment U.S. Constitution

Posts: 715 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i noticed that in my 300wsm and 280ackley dies, all standard redding dies. they only have just enough adjustment befor the thread bottoms out. the only needed to go a little further with the threading on the die itself that takes the seating stem.

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul from nz:
i noticed that in my 300wsm and 280ackley dies, all standard redding dies. they only have just enough adjustment befor the thread bottoms out. the only needed to go a little further with the threading on the die itself that takes the seating stem.

Which to me, Cwilson, means screw your die in until it does touch the shellholder, enough even that your press has to 'cam over' at the top of the stroke. As Paul said, just a little more die adjustment will make a big difference.

Good luck.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have another 1/3 of a turn of threads on your die before touching the shell holder, you can make your length.