THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Happened to Winchester Primers? When?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I guess now I'm gonna show my age. A decade or so back I bought several thousand Winchester primers. It was right after the change from Win. 120 to WLR. The boxes were white , the primners silver colored , and the priming compound a Orange/Red color. I opened a new box today. The boxes are Blue, the primers brass (like the Remington primer) , and the compound a sick looking blue green. When did all of this come aboput and will it affect my max loads? [Confused]

Rich ELliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Anytime you change any component you should re-work your "max loads".

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but they are still labeled and sold as WLR Primers.

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto what ricciardelli says. The WSR's do seem to be softer.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Rich, to ACTUALLY answer your question, the change happened about two years ago. I haven't found any difference in performance.

BA

[ 07-23-2003, 02:49: Message edited by: Brad ]

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
The only difference I found was that they fit a bit more loosely in the primer pockets. I understand they didn't allow for the lack of plating initially so that the first runs, which I bought, were a bit loose. The later production seems just as the old ones except for the colors.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
The change impacted my max loads... working up when i ran out of silvers, it seems to be a little hotter...

so, i switched EVERYTHING to federal 215 and haven't looked back...

jeffe

Posts: 39696 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone,

Yes, I did notice that they seated somewhat easier than the older ones. I don't think any of my loads are so "on the edge" that it will make much, if any difference. Guess I'll find out next trip to the range as I loaded up a box of 165 grains wor the Mt. rifle. I already have 3 or 4 boxes each loaded up with the old primers for my older .30-06, .270 Win, and .35 Whelen so it won't matter with them this fall. That's enough to check the poi and still have plenty to hunt with. I've actually got 30 of the old primers left. Hummm, which rifle to use them on?
Rich Elliott

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just got back from the range. The new style WLR primers are pretty much the same as the old sliver ones. No pressure spike , same velocity, a bit more deviation but it was a cool, partly cluody day so the CHrony could have been acting up a bit. Got no readings below 2,800 fps with the 165 Hornadys in the .-06. Also no groups larger than 1 1/4".
Rich Elliott

one of us
posted Hide Post
There's an updated primer ranking on the www.castingstuff.com web site on the primer test page near the bottom of the opening page. If you are switching primers, it's worth a look.
Doz

Posts: 25 | Location: NW | Registered: 12 November 2002Reply With Quote