Find
Notify
Tools

Kynoch Foam Inserts; Feedback
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Dear AR posters, and gentleman,

Since I don't feel up to a midnight heist at Federal for some 206 primers, I am looking at either RL-15 plus a filler for 470 NE loading, or the less desireable option of greater quantities of as slower burning powder.

Does anyone have experience with the little grey Kynoch foam fillers versus Dacron as a filler in the 470 NE?

Input is appreciated,

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
...I was gonna' buy some of those fillers from David Little at the Kynoch booth when I was at Reno for the SCI show. But, I forgot about it until after I was on my way home.

However, the Kynoch ones appeared to be made of the same stuff as the foam used in gun boxes.
so, I got some discarded foam, and cut a bunch of inch long plugs. I load a .505 Gibbs, and have used these ersatz Kynoch fillers, and have been pleased with the results.

After the powder is dropped, I insert one of the plugs, and cut the protruding portion even with the neck. Insert a 600gr Woodleigh, and go to the next one.

Works for me...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been using them for a couple or three years now. Work like a charm in the .470 and the .500. You can cut your own from acoustic foam or order them directly from Kynamco. I like RL 15 because I get good accuracy and the felt recoil is noticeably less than with either of the 4831 powders, especially in the .500 !!!

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used them in several of the flanged nitros. They seem to work OK. I still prefer Dacron.
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

I'll bet the 500 NE gets your attention loaded with a half pound or so of 4831!

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been using them them in a bunch of calibers for a few years and love them, .....often see accuracy improve! They're quick and easy to use compared to the Dacron. David says to use them if you have more than 3/8" air space between powder and bullet. If you're wanting to make your own, make sure the foam will burn and is not treated!
~Arctic~

A stranger is a friend we haven't met

Posts: 277 | Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada | Registered: 13 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cordite_Blues
posted Hide Post
I've used them in my 450 NE 3.25" with RL15 and with good results. CB.

"In a question of right and wrong, never be neutral." Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 29 | Location: Rochester, MI USA | Registered: 20 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by lawndart:
Dear AR posters, and gentleman,

Since I don't feel up to a midnight heist at Federal for some 206 primers, I am looking at either RL-15 plus a filler for 470 NE loading, or the less desireable option of greater quantities of as slower burning powder.

Does anyone have experience with the little grey Kynoch foam fillers versus Dacron as a filler in the 470 NE?

Input is appreciated,

Kapok When i did a search on the subject of fillers, the only safe one to use is Kapok.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Late on this post, but here's what I did....90 gr of RL15 and a Kynoch foam filler for 2190fps with a Woodleigh soft and 89 gr of RL15 with the foam plug for 2200 fps with the NF Cup point. Both in my 470 Merkel. Foam plugs available from Kynoch....don't have their e-mail handy.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kynoch Nitro Express Wads:
Unique case filling system developed and used by Kynoch on all their big game ammunition and now available to the home loader.
Size 1: From .300 to .400 packed in 100's £8.00
Size 2: From .400 to .500 NE packed in 100's £8.00
Size 3: From .500 to .700 NE packed in 50's £6.00

from: http://www.new-kynoch.apt-sites.com/miscellaneous.htm

Their home Page: http://www.kynochammunition.co.uk/

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about that boiling out device for 505 Gibbs?!?!? Suppose that could be used in conjunction with a Mallard call while in the African Bush?!?!? animal

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the same loads as Garby with Woodleigh softs and solids. I get 2140 fps. and 2155 fps.,soft and solid respectively. As an aside, I get the most consistant velocities and hence accuracy with the RL 15/ Kynoch foam wad combo. A bonus is, at least to me, a significant decrease in perceived recoil. This particularly true with the .500 NE.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
merci beaucoups dudes,

LD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i too use foam cut from bullet packages for RL-15 loads for my 505 Gibbs, with no problems. Ive used as little as 70 gr RL15 for reduced loads for plinking. I dont use dacron; it doesnt burn up, looks like a fresh snowfall in front of my shooting position at the end of the day.

Posts: 523 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 18 June 2007Reply With Quote