THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Poll: 243 WSSM varmint load for my brother. 58 gr vs 87 gr? (graphs)

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll: 243 WSSM varmint load for my brother. 58 gr vs 87 gr? (graphs)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted
A few years ago, I started handloading for my brother's .243 WSSM bolt gun that he uses to DESTROY nefarious ground squirrels with at the ranch. It's quite entertaining, to say the least.

The first batch of missiles I loaded up were the Nosler 55gr Ballistic Tips. However, I am thinking it is time to try something new. Being a big fan of the V-MAX in all it's different calibers and weights, I would like to load up either some 58 or 87 grain pills for him.

After running the numbers (below in graphical form), I am torn as to which one I should choose. Of course, the answer is going to be "the one that shoots the best!". But HYPOTHETICALLY, if they both shoot equally well, which would you go with?

Given the data below and considering that most vermin are shot at 50 to 200 yards away, I personally, would go with the one that gives the biggest splatter and air show. But I'm curious as to what all of you think.

Rifle: Browning A-Bolt, 22" bbl, 1-10" twist

(I know the velocity numbers may be a bit generous, but the data is from the Hodgdon website and the likely powder(s) that I plan to use)

Question:
Which would you go with?

Choices:
58 grain V-MAX
87 grain V-MAX
I don't really care, but I like to vote as often as possible. Thanks ACORN!

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot 87gr bullets in my 2506 and they work very well at blowing varmints apart.

Posts: 19610 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote