New
Find
Notify
Tools

case neck lube
 Login/Join

<JCCD>
posted
What is the best kind of lube for rifle case necks inside and out? Is there much difference between motor mica and graphite? If you use spray on lube will it get inside the case neck too?

<Paladin>
posted
...I finally just grabbed a new wool boremop, rubbed some caselube into it, and use it to rub lube inside of casenecks. If I weren't so lazy, I'd first spin a bronze borebrush in the necks to break out the carbon-fouling. But, unless I'm after tackdriving accuracy or intend the ammo to be stored for years, I don't.
I tried MotorMica, graphite, and so on as a drylube, and while it seemed to work okay, I disliked the overall mess.
Currently, I've started using Meadowfoam Seed Oil as a case- and neck-lube, and it's done very well....

one of us
posted Hide Post
I went to all spray lubes it gets into the neck of enough shells to lube the die to work. When you are doing thousands of rifle cases its the only way to go.

Posts: 19394 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Rezdog>
posted
I picked up a common foam rubber stamp pad (not the closed cell foam like commercial lube pads) and soaked it real good with RCBS case lube. Then sprinkled it generously with graphite and some motor mica. I roll my neck lube brush in this mess and give the neck a quick scrub. Can also just stick the case mouth first into the foam to pick up a bit of lube. Works great.

<George Capriola>
posted
I use Imperial Sizing Die Wax & Imperial Dry Neck Lube. The neck lube is graphite based. A little does many, many cases, and cleanup is fast & easy. No dented shoulders, either.
Regards, George.

<TGWoody>
posted
When I first started reloading I used several types of lubs and sprays and found them mostly effective but much messier than wax.

Imperial Sizing Die Wax works best for me also. .. yes, and very little goes a long way. I use it for resizing and neck turning.

I also like because it allows me to thoroughly and systematically inspect each case prior to working it, and I just apply it with my finger tips.

Good Luck,

TGW

------------------
Where ever you go. .. there you are.

<Martindog>
posted
Lee Collet Die. Forget the neck lube.

Martindog

<TGWoody>
posted
MartinDog:

What is a "Collet Die" ?

TGW

<Martindog>
posted
TGWoody:

Lee's Collet die is a neck sizer. It works differently from a conventional die in that necks don't require lubing. The collet die features a mandrel which is a bit smaller than the caliber in question, and as the case is pushed up in the die it squeezes a collet against a sleeve which compresses the neck against the mandrel. The diameter of the mandrel controls the degree of neck sizing. This occurs radially against the neck, i.e., it pushes in from the sides all at once but only after the neck is all the way up in the die. In a conventional die the neck is shoved up into a smaller than required neck section dragging all along the way, and then dragged back over an expander ball to set the final inner diameter. That's why conventional dies need some type of lube in the neck area.

I use a collet die which works for 3 to 4 resizings in a row after which the body needs sized a bit to allow chambering. For that I use Redding's Body die which squeezes the body and shoulder only, but not the neck. You still need to use any conventional case lube with this one but like I said, it's not an every time proposition.

For a better description of Lee's Collet die, check out their website, www.leeprecision.com

Martindog

<Big50>
posted
I bought a Redding carbide expander and it eliminates the need for inside the neck lube. It works great. I also found that when sizeing without the expander ball installed, the case was only .0005" smaller, .3045" instead of .305". Not enough differance to warrant even using the expander for me unless for my M1A which leaves nicks in the mouth at times. The expander is a floating ball that can be removed if you like.

Later
Brent

<JCCD>
posted
Thanks for the info.