New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 550 American and the 9.3X62 Mauser
 Login/Join

<thomas purdom>
posted
I posted this on another forum as well, but in the latest edition of Handloader Magazine there is an evaluation of the 9.2X62 cartridge and the rifle used in the testing is the CZ 550 American. For a 270 grain slug, that critter throws them into a mighty small group while still getting 2,356 feet per second velocity. Anyway, thought you folks who were considering this caliber in this rifle might like to know! Tom Purdom [Smile]

<thomas purdom>
posted
Sorry, that's the 9.3X62! Tom [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

<Christian>
posted
Hi there Thomas, here in Sweden where I reside, the 9,3:s are very popular, they come in three wersions a 57 mm, 62mm, and 74 mm. The most powerful of these is the 62mm because the 74 mm is loaded is sbs guns and will not be loaded to the same pressures as the 62 mm.

In a recent test in a Swedish gun rag, the test shoot the 9,3*62 with Nosler bal tic, part, Barnes X and lapua Mega as well as Hawk and some other bullets.

There are bulles from 200 grains upp to 320 grains (Woodliegh "spelling") so there is a lot of room for handloading and getting the right loads for the intendend purpose.

I my self load the 286 grains Lapua Mega bullet with iether Norma 202 or 203b, the 203b will give me 740 m/s Vo and an energi surpassing 5000 Joules Vo. Let�s just say that i usually use the loads with 202 at 700-720 m/s a norm. They are a nice to shoot.

By the way in the gun rag the show a three shot aggregat with the 286 grains Barnes X of 11 mm that is like 00,43 inches, darn good if you ask me.

Chris

one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
[Big Grin] I with Tom [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
<Mauser416>
posted
I don't think you can go wrong with the CZ550. I have a .30-06 and a 550 Magnum, in .375 H&H. Both rifles are quite accurate. I'm more than happy with the craftsmanship and am still surprised by the beauty of the stocks. As to the 9.3x62, I fought that same dillema a few years back and ended up with a .35 Whelen Improved. At times, I wish I had gone with the 9.3.

I guess I said all of that to say this, go for it. I don't think you'll be disappointed by the rifle or the round.

<leo>
posted
The 9.3x62 in the CZ550 American also comes with both front and rear cross-bolts in the stock just like a "real" big gun.