New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet Comparators?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have finally got annoyed enough at the varying lengths of bullet tips that I'm going to get a bullet comparator. What brand (Stoney Point or Sinclair)would you all recommend and why? I can see advantages with either. Any other reasonably priced comparators that deserve a look?
Thanks for any responses, Mike

Posts: 243 | Location: Kansas, USA | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Doesn't take long, does it.

Get the appropriate Sinclair model. They used to have just one, now they have two that cover more calibers. I'd never handload without one -- not if I'm concerned with precision, anyway.

Russ

[ 01-18-2003, 06:45: Message edited by: Russell E. Taylor ]

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
mbk-

Go to the Sinclair website (www.sinclairintl.com) or catalog - they have two Sinclair versions, plus a "Davidson Seating Depth Checker".

I've had a Sinclair for years - the one that looks like a 6-sided nut - it works fine, but is a pain in the ass to hold the bullet and comparator in one hand, and the caliper in the other.

I'd lean toward getting the Davidson - it attaches to your caliper, though it might cost you a bit more.

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with erict on the 6-sided nut style of comparator. I also have one and it works well, BUT it is difficult to use. I does take some practice, yet it will work fine...with patience!!!BCB

Posts: 212 | Location: WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote