New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading data for Barnes VLX 7mm RemMag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just bought three boxes of those blue Barnes bullets from Midway, and the Barnes web site says the coating isn't moly but it is slicker than gilding metal. My old Barnes manual doesn't have data for these. Anyone have some starting loads for 7mmRemMag for 160gr VLX for 4350, 4831, and RL 22? Thanks. Ku-dude

one of us
posted Hide Post
Starting loads, 160 gr. XLC

H4831 - 67gr.

Rl-22 - 67.5gr.

IMR 4831 - 64gr.

4350 is not listed.

Posts: 388 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ku-Dude,

I presume you are talking about the XLC bullet.

I don't know where Waxman got his figures, but these are STARTING loads straight from Barnes' New #3 manual.

Please be advised that when I used this manual for my 300WSM - I got hard bolt lift at ONLY 2 grains over the start load!!!

RL 22 -- 63.0

H 4831 - 61.0

IMR 4831 - 60.0

RL 22, H4831, and H1000 are powders recommended by Barnes.

Posts: 324 | Location: SE Wyoming | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got those figures from page 282 of the Barnes #3 manual.

Posts: 388 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Waxman,

Glad you said that. I erroneously Posted the start loads for the 140 XLC Boattail. I edited my post to reflect the Start loads listed for the subject powders with the 160 XLC Flat Base on page 282 of my #3 maunal? I am confused - why there is a difference. The copyright date on mine is 2001, is yours different?

All I know for sure, is that I got pressure signs pretty quick with the data in mine when I was loading 150 XLC's for my 300 WSM. Also got hard bolt lift at max loads from Sierra with their data/150 GK. I am shooting a Savage, and measurement shows pretty tight chamber/headspace.

Just got some 168 TS's today, so will start working on those this weekend. Sure hope the shoot better than the XLC's (150 & 165).

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Guys, but now I am truly confused. For the 160 grain bullet what is the starting load for

4831, RL22, 4350 and H1000? I really would appreciate clarification. Also, what kind of velocities have you gotten?

Oldguy, you have me worried. Sounds like the accuracy of the Barnes bullets leaves something to be desired. Ku-dude

one of us
posted Hide Post
I will say ONE THING!!! If you get loading data off the screen on the internet, you are a much, much braver man than I am.

Bodunchar

Posts: 32 | Location: between Alzada and Yaak | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ku-Dude,

The loads I listed above are what MY 2001 #3 manual shows for 160 Gr XLC FB. Plus it shows 67.0 start for H1000.

I can't say what the "Blues" will do in your rifle, only what I experienced in mine. I failed to get much better than 2 MOA groups with either the 150's or 165's in my 300WSM. I also loaded check loads with regular Sierra Mk's in 150 & 168 with some of the same charges/powder I was using for the XLC's. They were all sub 1MOA, so that pretty much rules out any problems with my gun/scope/technique. I have heard this from others as well, but I hear great things about the TS's. I just finished loading two 4-rung ladders with Big Game & H4350 - starting 1.5 & 2 grains under the minimum listed for 168 TS's. All cases were fire formed/trimmed/neck sized/deburred, and charges were weighed. Bullets are seated .065 off the lands. I will see what happens with these and go from there.

I wish you better luck with your rifle.
Be sure to follow the recommendations for "jump" for the X bullets lest you get pressure spikes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are numerous corrections to the Barnes manual no. 3, especially for XLC data.

7 mag is one of them.

Go here and get the corrected data:

http://www.barnesbullets.com/images/c282.jpg

This is the page with the other corrections. Scroll down and click on the page numbers.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/prodmanual.php

Posts: 109 | Location: IL | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the links Westman.

When I checked the first one, I found it matched the data in my manual. Checking your second link, I saw where it was corrections made at the first printing after the print date. I checked my manual and found it is Fifth Printing, so I already have all the corrections.

What disturbs me most is the Barnes technician I talked to didn't refer me to this data. Especially since I had related the pressure indications I got with 2 grains over MINIMUM!