Find
Notify
Tools

Which primers have softer cups?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi all,

After all my chirping about how much I like my Weatherby sporter 30-06, I confess I am having a problem with which I need help (they say crow is at the peak of flavor this time of year). [Smile]

A few years ago, during the great primer availability scare, I hoarded some OLD Winchester large rifle primers. They seem to work okay in most guns, but not in the Weatherby. I think the cups are harder than heck - either that or the Weatherby just doesn't hit them as hard as the others in my modest battery, or maybe some of both. Can anyone tell me who's primers tend to have softer cups? Also, has anyone experienced a similar problem exclusive to a Weatherby rifle?

I have posted a few times in big and medium bore and classified, but this is my first post here in reloading. I appreciate your help.

Big Redhead
By name and by nature

Posts: 75 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
May be a problem with the firing pin fall getting a bit slow. Could be dried up gummy oil inside the bolt, mixed with dirt and powder/primer soot, etc. Mainspring could be getting a bit weak.

I've got an older Ruger M77 that's hitting 'em pretty softly. Still shooting reliably, but the primer dents are shallow. Think I'll first try giving the bolt a long soak in solvent, unless somebody's got a better suggestion.

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if is true with rifle primers but Fed. primers ignite easer in pistol primers. I know this because after doing trigger work it's the only thing that would work all the time. Make sure the primers are seated all the way also. Good luck. You may want to have a gunsmith check it out if you are still haveing problems.

Posts: 132 | Location: western New York | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The bolt needs to be degreased. WW primers are plated which means chrome. Daffynition, chrome see harder than woodpecker lips. Rem primers are not plated. Nice brass colored, but sometimes blow when using max hand loads.

Posts: 56 | Location: Howard City, Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FED-215's are soft

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot, guys. Now I have a plan:

This morning I disassembled the rifle. Lo and behold, the firing pin was partially unscrewed from the rest of the mechanism. I think this did two bad things: 1- Reduce travel distance of the firing pin which would tend to reduce it's striking force and velocity, and; 2- Reduce preload on the firing pin spring thus further reducing firing pin striking force.

Sooo, I completely disassembled the striker assembly, "adjusted" the spring 1/2 inch longer for more preload (stiff dang spring!), and reassembled the striker assembly tightly with Loctite on the firing pin threads. Just from the feel and sound made when dry-firing, it seems the striker hits harder.

Tonight I will get some Federal or Remington primers, load a few, and give her a go. I have high hopes for success. I'll keep you posted.

Live well
Big Redhead
By name and by nature

one of us
posted Hide Post
Eureka!

I picked up some Federal GM210M primers and they work great. The indent looks normal. The dealer said that these Gold Medal Match primers are designed to be less sensitive to light piring pin blows. They certainly seated easier than the old WW Staynless primers. They cost more too.

The deer are definitely not safe now. Look out!

Big Redhead (what else can I say)