Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady Titanium Nitride Dies
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted
My 9MM sizer is sticking. A complete cleaning has no affect. Any Ideas other than buying RCBS?

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience with TiN has not been good in drills and other things.
However 9mm dies present another problem .The taper per lengthof the 9mm parabellum is significant unlike the taper of a 45acp for example .Could that be your problem ??

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Use lube.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Carbide

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 243winxb:
Use lube.

The object of using Carbide or Titanium Nitride is to not require lube on straight wall cases such as 9MM, S&W 40, or 45APC.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
Carbide does not require lube - and lube can actually carry grit that will damage the carbide die. I have always used lube wit TiN. It reduces wear but it is not as hard as carbide and it is not "self lubricating" as far as I know.

I could be wrong on the TiN as my experience with it in dies is limited.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Titanium Nitride is a coating that may wear off with heavy use. RCBS uses tungsten carbide, better IMO. Many reloaders have problems sizing 9mm because of the larger amount of taper to the brass. Lube helps Titanium. Redding makes titanium neck bushings, there Tech Line & Tips
said to use a bit of lube. And 9mm is NOT straight walled. Smiler

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Redding Dual Ring Carbide Sizing Die. Note that 9mm is NOT included. Smiler The Ultimate Solution For Sizing Straight Wall Handgun Cartridges

Dual Ring Carbide Sizing Die

Redding has solved the problem that has plagued ordinary carbide dies since their invention. The little ring in

a standard carbide die had to do double duty. It sized the top of the case to properly hold the bullet but then

continued to size the whole body of the case as well. Unfortunately, these two areas need to be sized at

different diameters, so carbide dies of the past have always been a compromise.

Redding's solution to this problem is a unique

(patent pending) design, incorporating two carbide

rings within one sizing die. The upper ring is

positioned to size only the bullet retention portion of

the case while the other is located to properly size

the case body without overworking the brass. Sized

cases will not only look and function better but

brass life will increase.

Dual Ring Carbide Sizing Dies

Cartridge Item No.

38 Special 95183

357 Magnum 95182

40 Smith & Wesson 95272

44 Special 95187

44 Magnum 95186

45 ACP 95189

45 Colt 95191

$147.00 Redding Die

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Note that 9mm is NOT included.

Obviously a bad assumption on my part. Eeker

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
RCBS had a tech tip about sizing pistol brass. Just neck size it. In other words, you can stop sizing just past where the bullets base would sit. Being that 9mm is high pressure, more sizing is needed, but maybe not the full length of the case?? May or may not work, so only load/test a few rounds. My RCBS die is about 1/16" from touching the shell holder/plate. Hope this helps.

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Over cleaning of brass may remove the surface zinc that acts as a lube when sizing. Don't over do it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Titanium nitride is a CVD or PVD applied surface treatment that is very hard but very thin. It is a ceramic coating and when subject to high pressure it can crack or flake if the substrate material flexes. I certainly would never used it for a 9X19 die.

Tungsten carbide such as used by RCBS is a solid bushing that is pressed into the die. In the case of the 9X19 it has to be a full case length bushing to accommodate the taper. Even with the full length carbide bushing heavily expanded 9mm brass often works a little easier if some lube is applied now and then. If you have as TiN die I would use a little lube with it too. You will also want to use very clean and polished brass for best results.

While I am sure the companies using TiN for bushings and sizing dies had the best intentions for their customers a 9X19 sizer is probably not a good idea.
The TiN probably is a good thing for bushing used in benchrest bushing dies since the neck sizing pressures are low. However in these applications I have good results with a plain hardened steel bushing.

I think the Tin coating suppliers have sold the reloading industry a bottle of snake oil when applied to sizing dies - especially the 9X19.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Many cheap drill sets use TiN coating nowadays and the TiN does absolutely nothing for them, they are still cheap drill sets and a waste of money. I would imagine this will apply to dies too.

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
This has been most enlightening. Appreciate all the input. Should get the die back from Hornady in a week, although not sure what I will do with it.

Looking for an RCBS set.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Send the die back to Hornady.

1-800-338-3220

No risk lifetime warranty.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
We seem to have posted at the same time. You already sent it back.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Turner421
posted Hide Post
I use that same die. The only time I've had problems with cases sticking, I didn't use lube. I sure hope that using lube wont mess up the die!!??

Posts: 100 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: 10 March 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I talked to Tech support at Hornady and he said he does not use lube and does not have a sticking problem. I told him I tried their cast lube which made the operation easier. At that point he asked me to send him the die, no mention of lube harming the die.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO purchase a Lee carbide die and your problems will be over. My RCBS carbide die failed to resize the case down to specs (as verified by a Lyman case sizing gauge).

One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
Another possible solution would be to tumble clean and shine your brass before resizing. Brass tends to re-size easier when they are shined up before hand.

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Yea Kevin, all my brass is run through the walnut shells. Also have used corn cobb media, no difference.

Shootshellz, I have a Lee Carbide coming Wednesday. I called Hornady today was was told it would be 2 weeks????? Mad They sure are not fixing the die,who knows, glad I ordered the Lee as I shot up my 9MM ammo yesterday.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA