New
Find
Notify
Tools

RL 19???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Fellas, I bought some RL 19 awhile back, thinking of loading some 150-168gr. rounds for my .300WM.
Nothing!!

Anybody had any luck with this stuff, on a .300 winnie?? Maybe 180gr.??

Seems like this is the only Alliant powder I cant get to work some magic..sakofan..Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
I shoot a lot of RL-19 through my .340's, but for the .300 Winny nothing can beat RL-22 on the 180 grain bullets. [Wink] Good shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sakofan;
Sounds like you got some same stuff I did.
R-19 can be a crap shoot, sometimes you get a good batch, sometimes you don't. Unfortunately I lost the roll of the dice and got a batch that will not even come close to published velocities in any cartridge, regardless of bullet weight. [Frown]

[Averages 200fps slower than stated in manual [Mad] ]

Where the R-22 I have lives up to published Data. [Big Grin]

[ 10-31-2003, 17:57: Message edited by: Marsh Mule ]

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm glad its not just me. I shot all Summer with Hodgden and switched hearing it had superior vel. in my .338WM. Something like 200fps below published velocity. What a dog! Also low vel. in my 30-06.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, first off. My beloved Sako 75 .300WM is a very fickle mistress. So Iam slow to discount any powder and or bullet combo based on many, many frustated days at the range, working different loads.

I agree totally about RL22!! It's the cats ass of the .300 Winnie!!

Funny, 3 post and no "Hey, I got a load that will shoot" post!

Iam going to try it again with some Sierra Game Kings, 180gr. I got laying around.

My mulie load this year will be 168gr. Triple Shock with 78.5gr. RL 22 and Fed. primers. 215M's of course.

I could ALMOST throw away all other powders, and stick to RL22.
IMR 4831 with 175gr. SMK's, are still my accuracy loads. [Wink] Thanks guys!! Keep'em coming!!..sakofan..

[ 10-31-2003, 23:56: Message edited by: sakofan ]

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sakofan,

Those Tripleshocks are awesome on game. 2 of my friends used the 168gr TS on elk and I used the 130gr Xlc-bt in my 270Win. We took 3 elk, and no bullets were recovered, and 2 dropped on the spot, the 3rd made it about 30 feet. 2 of the elk were a looong ways out there. RL19 shot well in my friends Sako 3ooWinnie, but I don't know the fps. They do seem sensitive to seating depth.
Fred

Posts: 37 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Rel-19 in my 6mm Rem. and in my 6.5x55. Both calibers will print under an inch (5at100)
with it. Several other powders do just as well. All in all I'd say it's a satisfactory powder. I notice you guys are using it in a lot larger calibers than I do so it must be fairly versatile. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It does good out of my 300 Win Mag using 165 grain Partitions. I have had Barnes' techs to also tell me that this is the best powder for the 300 Win Mag that they have tried.

Posts: 507 | Location: Rogersville ,tn,usa | Registered: 06 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
75.5 grs of RL-19 will churn up 3132 with a 165 gr. bullet...

RL-22 will get you 3152 with the same bullet..

RL-19 will fill the case to 94%
RL-22 will fill the case to 98%

Now someone tell me that RL-22 is better than RL-19...It boils down to which is the most accurate in the individual rifle, also RL-19 has less compaction for what its worth...

RL-19 operates at less pressure and could feasibly be loaded hotter than RL-22..I know it can in the .338...

I have not worked that much with the 300 Win. and RL-19 having mostly used 76 grs of RL-22,in the past, but If I had a 300 Win right now, I would be working with RL-19 to see how far I could go with it....

I'm bettin it would be my choice, by the time I got it figured out..Like I said thats what happened with my 338, I got equal velocity at much less pressure..

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray, in my part of the world, RL22 is THE powder for .300 WM's and RUM's right now. And RL25.

I havent found the right touch with the RL19, but Iam not finshed yet. I will try some 180gr.s that might shoot better..sakofan..

[ 11-02-2003, 13:24: Message edited by: sakofan ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sll:
It does good out of my 300 Win Mag using 165 grain Partitions. I have had Barnes' techs to also tell me that this is the best powder for the 300 Win Mag that they have tried.

Did Barnes tell you which of their bullets liked RL19?? I tried RL19 with some Triple Shocks, 168gr. and not real good results.

Did you talk to Ty at Barnes??..sakofan..

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can do over 3300 fps with a 140gr in my 7mm rem mag with RL-19, doesn't sound slow too me.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMO when an accurate gun won't shoot, then its the bullet, not the powder and BarnesX is a good place to shoot a 4" group in many rifles...

BarnesX will shoot in some rifles and is terrible in others, moreso than any other bullet I know of...I think it has to do with the smoothness of the bore...but thats another subject.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray, I agree...in part with Barnes X's not shooting in SOME rifle's.
My Sako will shoot a 5 shot group at 100 yds. that you could literally cover with a quarter with Barnes X,XLC,and the new TSX. Using RL22, IMR 4831, and at times, H 4350.
One group shot 150gr. X's and IMR 4831 into a group you could cover with a dime

So, maybe your right. I should give RL19 anougher whirl. But, I will try it with 180gr. bullets

But, in this case, it's the powder!! Or my failure to extract the right powder charge.

Ray, I didnt choose Barnes bullets. They chose me, so to speak. The accuracy that they will shoot in my rifle, is riveled only by the great Sierra Match King.

As I stated above, my Sako is very fickle. So Iam slow to kick a powder,bullet,ect. to the curb..sakofan..Thanks for all the responses.. [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sakofan you are Right! It is the Batch or Lot of R-19 you have.

I guess there are some that just don't get it!!
[Confused]
OK, maybe if I type REAL SLOW and if you READ REAL SLOW you will understand this time?
[Roll Eyes]

For some reason only known to the Manufacturer, R-19 powder has not been what you might call real "CONSISTANT" from Batch-to-Batch. In other words; there are some "LOTS" of R-19 that are Sub-standard or"WEAKER" and not as POWERFUL as other "LOTS" of R-19!

In my way of thinking a "SUB-STANDARD" Lot or Batch of powder should have recall status as does a Lot or Batch that is too HOT!

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote