Notify
Tools

To go short magnum?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jan
posted
Folks,
My topic may be a bit dated, but anyway.
What is your opinion on the WSM's, the SAUM's and the short magnums in general, in the present time? Is the choice distance related (velocity/energy) and do you really need them if your shooting distances are medium? Do these short action calibers have advantages over the long actions? What's your opinion on accuracy? What to think of barrel life?
Thanks for comments.
Nice day,
Jan

Posts: 113 | Location: Terschelling, the Netherlands | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
In general, I think there is theoretical merit to the concept of a short powder column and accuracy.

In the field, however, this theoretical benefit is about an order of magnitude less important than reliability of feeding, number of rounds in the magazine, cost of ammunition, to name a few.

In the end, if you can get 2 or 3% improvement in accuracy or velocity, what does it matter?

In the real world, there's little big game a 308Win can't handle, and there's little small game the 223rem can't handle.

It's fun to play with the others, but the differences are simply overwhelmed by external factors. JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
My thoughts are housed in the right rifle, they offer very good performance in a light well balanced rifle. But compared in a std size and weight rifle, they give up a little bit of performance.

If you can get your hands on a kimber montanna, you'll understand the right rifle for the round and how a light well balanced rifle that has in the case of the 300 wsm performance between the 30-06 and 300 win mag in a rifle that weighs a good pound or so less than the std rifles in those chamberings is a good thing.

They are simply a part of a package that is a good refinement over rifles of years past.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I bought a 300WSM because I didn't own a 30 caliber magnum already. It shoots and feeds with no issues but it's a Savage so I didn't expect anything less. I took it to Namibia this summer and had great success with it.

JMHO,

If you already have a regular sized magnum rifle there's no reason to buy one but the short magnums are viable options for people looking for their first magnums in a specific caliber.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12604 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me it was simple, lighter gun, same performance to mid distances and in my case, the ability to carry the rifle on longer walks. I use the rifle as a carry weapon where I would have left my other heavier 300 WM home.

Posts: 155 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 13 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's fun to play with the others, but the differences are simply overwhelmed by external factors. JMO, Dutch.

Dutch has the proper perspective on the new rounds. NO magic to them, and VERY little ballistic difference. Paul Mauser understood that reliable functioning needed longer, slimmer cartridges.

rje is right too. BUT, lighter rifles aren't limited to short cartridges and the difference in weight because of a very slightly shorter action isn't much of a difference either.

Choose your rifle on what the rest of the design qualities are, not the length of some fat, dumpy cartridge.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote