New
Find
Notify
Tools

savage predator .243
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any suggestions on loads for this rifle? I believe I want to use a 85gn. bullet. Mainly 100yds.

Posts: 87 | Location: lehigh co. pa. | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are you going to shoot? There are loads posted on the reloading pages for the 243, but no 85 gr. How do you like it? I just got a Rem Mod 7 Predator in 243 but it has a floorplate.

The following powders are reported to give good accuracy with 85 gr bullets. You can check the online reloading guide at Hodgdon for particulars. http://www.hodgdon.com/

Accurate Magpro
XMR-4350
Ramshot Hunter
RL-19
VV N560

Let us know how that new rifle shoots.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
41.5 gr of 4350 w/sierra 85 gr hpbt is the nuts for accuracy, but you can use up to 44 grs and still have it hold well. otherwise i like 42.5 gr of H414

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
IMR 4350 and what butchloc said. CCI Br2 primer. The Sierra 85gr hpbt #1530 is great for deer or woodchuck. H4350 is slower and the accuracy is not as good as with IMR4350

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kondor

What is the barrel length? my md 7 is a older one with 18" barrel I hate 2 foot of flame out the end when using 4350 but have settled on H-380 good burn with great accuracy with a short barrel 4064 also works for me I just have a lot of 380.

Eagles from above

Posts: 147 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm impressed with the gun. Did a rough sight in job with power-shok 100gn. sp.Shot a 5 shot group around an inch at 100yds with 3 touching. Ididn't think that was bad for cheap factory ammo.
quote:
Originally posted by kondor:
What are you going to shoot? There are loads posted on the reloading pages for the 243, but no 85 gr. How do you like it? I just got a Rem Mod 7 Predator in 243 but it has a floorplate.

The following powders are reported to give good accuracy with 85 gr bullets. You can check the online reloading guide at Hodgdon for particulars. http://www.hodgdon.com/

Accurate Magpro
XMR-4350
Ramshot Hunter
RL-19
VV N560

Let us know how that new rifle shoots.

Posts: 87 | Location: lehigh co. pa. | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry forgot the other part of the question. I'm mainly going to use it for chucks and yotes but I'm not ruling out deer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
US1 - the Rem 7 Predator has a 22" fluted magnum contour bbl. I haven't shot it yet. That new trigger is so unlike the old Rem. trigger it is unbelievable. I have an old ADL with a good trigger, but this new one is much, much better. My VSL has an aftermarket trigger.

AS64 - Sounds as though that little rifle will be a good one.

I got mine for mainly deer and just blastin. I don't get around as good as I used too, so light is great. One of the good heavy bullets will whack a deer ok. Some of the 85 grs are excellent deer killers if you can get them moving. The twist on yours and mine will handle the heavier stuff, as well as the varmint class weight. WE lose some velocity with teh 22" bbl.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a new .243 Savage just broken in and also have been pleased and surprised by the groups using Federal Powershock 100 gr.

A fellow shooting near me and breaking in a .308 Savage on the 50 yard range was showing off some one hole groups too. The Federal Powershocks were the cheapest in the big box store.

I bought some Berger 80 gr. to load this week. I'll use Varget or VV140 until I get some slower powder.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
45 gr H4350 87 gr SP, 2.570" OAL, 23" barrel, 3137 fps.

This gun shoots under 2 moa with a #1 taper barrel and weighs less than 8 pounds with 4X scope, sling, and recoil pad.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote